So 2 year degree is good idea, what's your level of edu?

BEorP

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bachelor of Arts in psychology

EMT-Basic Certification

My eventual goal is to become both an RN and a paramedic; I'm currently working as an ER Tech. Some people (including RNs) have said to me "oh, that's impossible- nursing and paramedicine are two different career paths." I personally know (and know of) people who got both kinds of education- and some who still do both- so that proves any doubters wrong.

Some people (including RNs) have said to me "oh, that's impossible- nursing and paramedicine are two different career paths."

It would sure be absurdly ironic if any firefighter-paramedics were telling you that. :lol:

Talk about completely different career paths!

I applaud anyone wanting to gain more education.

The methodology of RN and paramedicine are significantly different, so don't expect things to be taught the same ways. Otherwise, you may find they will complement each other. You will have to make some of the connections, but they are there.

Good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement. As of right now, my plan is to go to RN school first. Some people have said to me "oh, you can just go to RN school and challenge the medic afterwards." I don't really think the whole concept of "challenging" the medic is such a hot idea, however. There are some people (such as flight nurses or nurses who are experienced EMTs + have tons of ER/ICU experience) who may do ok in terms of becoming medics in that manner. The majority of nurses, however, would probably not do very well on an ambulance having had zero field experience (riding for skills points doesn't count). I'm not a nurse (yet), nor have I gone through nursing school (yet), so I may not know exactly what I'm talking about. It just seems as though the "challenge" process is analogous to a "teach yourself paramedicine" course of study, in which you basically memorize the local protocols, get taught how to intubate by a doc, get some tubes in the OR, do a field internship and pass the medic exam. As I stated earlier, the "challenge" process is adequate for a handful of providers who already have all the extra training and experience. However, I just don't see how the majority of nurses could go from the hospital environment to the field without formal, structured training for the field environment first.

It would sure be absurdly ironic if any firefighter-paramedics were telling you that. :lol:

Talk about completely different career paths!

Yeah, that would definitely be ironic. Interestingly enough, there's a guy in my ER who works full-time as a career FF/EMT and works per-diem as an RN. There is another FF/EMT in his department who does the same thing. Actually, the original statement came from a Critical Care Transport nurse :shock: :? who said "you need to decide on a career path, because nursing and paramedicine are two different beasts." Well, there's some truth to that, but as I said, I know people who do both, so that kind of sunk her argument right then and there.

• 1 month later...

I am in my 3rd year of college. Going to a community college. They say it only takes 2 years but thats bull. I am gong for Computer Networking. If it was up to me, I would have gotten my EMT license back in 2005 or 2006. I love computers and all but theres no saying if I want to get a job in computers after I am done with college. I may want to go and get medic license instead.

sara

But you don't have a 2 or 4 year EMS degree! Obviously, you're throwing D50 down the ET tube and giving ASA intranasally. :roll:

No CBEMT I put succinylcholine down the ET tube, motor oil in the Iv and I'm drilling holes in the heads of non-trauma nosebleeds.

No I don't have a 2 or a 4 year EMS Degree, not sure what you meant in your post.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.