American EMS - Would you work in Ontario?

vs-eh?

Would you work in Ontario given my post?  

19 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

I was wondering..............how many times must we have to read about how great and wonderful Canada's EMS education is and how the US just pales in comparison? VS, can you not come up with better topics that are less beat to death? We all know the US is light years behind most of the civilized world in EMS education, so let's move on, unless you and all your infinite wisdom has a glorious solution to OUR problem here in the States.

But, to answer the question in the original post....No, I would not work there, I am satisfied with my pay, I like having lower taxes and I like the Ga./Fla. sunshine.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering..............how many times must we have to read about how great and wonderful Canada's EMS education is and how the US just pales in comparison? VS, can you not come up with better topics that are less beat to death? We all know the US is light years behind most of the civilized world in EMS education, so let's move on, unless you and all your infinite wisdom has a glorious solution to OUR problem here in the States.

But, to answer the question in the original post....No, I would not work there, I am satisfied with my pay, I like having lower taxes and I like the Ga./Fla. sunshine.

Exactly.

No. I don't do well with the northern cold humidity crap as I'm discovering in Michigan. While it might be interesting to learn another country's system of providing medical care, I'm already established far enough along the path here in America, going thru P school probably next January while I'm waiting for my slot in an accellerated nursing program for those who already have Bachelor's degrees.

Besides... I love my home state, and I love where I am right now educationally (still learning!). I cannot judge the validity of Canadian EMT education until I actually experience it, as much as I can read about it, the proof will always be in the pudding. Since I will probably never move to Canada and enter their EMS education there, I stand with no, I don't think I'll be working in Ontario.

JP, your post made me laugh so hard that people came over to see what the heck was so funny.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

I just have to ask, what's with all the comments relating to the taxes?

High taxes in ON pretty well negate any significant salary differences for most of us, especially those of us in tax-free states.

That is a pretty big factor to take into consideration. While I disagree with the whole "why would I want to go to more school to do less?" argument, I have to agree with the "why would I want to go to more school to make less argument.

High taxes in ON pretty well negate any significant salary differences for most of us, especially those of us in tax-free states.

That is a pretty big factor to take into consideration. While I disagree with the whole "why would I want to go to more school to do less?" argument, I have to agree with the "why would I want to go to more school to make less argument.

That's fair enough and pretty much what I thought, but what is it based on? If you were to compare the high taxes in ON with 'tax-free' in the states, what are you comparing? Not only that, but what is being deducted, how much and what for? What is the value for dollar. What is the cost to you for benefits such as medical, dental, vision and life insurance?

Not to mention your dislike of socialized medicine, which I don't neccesarily disagree with, but we don't have any co-pay or out of pocket costs to access health services.

Ok, JP, I'm with Wendy...I had a good little chuckle over your sarcasm. Well done.

As for stupid-high taxation...well, I'm sure we've seen this in one or twenty threads before. What it comes down to is this: our level of taxation is not the same everywhere. Nor is cost of living. My counterpart VS pays for his apartment what I pay almost in a monthly mortgage payment in a less populated area of the province. But remember there are good things besides free health care: we don't get taxed on our lottery winnings!! Aw come on guys.....I love it here. Besides, as much as I love the sunny southern states, I'm sure the 'right to bear arms' would get me in a whole lot more trouble than it's worth!

Tox :P

it's not just the taxes, it's the exchange rate too. I have not calculated how much more I would need to make in Canada to equal my pay here. I went to websites that illustrated the differences in the tax rates. The really high taxes don't kick in until you get over 60K/year. It's the provincial taxes on top of that. It can be quite a bit. Now, having said that, I do prefer a cold climate to the hot swamp for so much of the year. Maybe if I lived in it all the time I'd change my tune. Now, about housing. I have a 4 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage home in a decent neighborhood. How much would that set me back in Canada? I can build here for about 100 dollars per square foot. How much in Canada? A few folks have come here from California. They make more money here and are very pleased how much further their housing dollar goes here than in California. I pay property and school district taxes (deductible from my federal taxes) I pay about 80 dollars a pay period for 90/10 coverage on my family, with a drug card, dental and vision care. All this is moot really. A friend of mine goes up to Fort McMurray in Alberta to work for Air Liquide. Every time he goes through customs, they grill him with questions like " What job are you going to do that a Canadian could not do?" They do not like Americans coming in to work. The last time he went up there, Canadian Customs put him back on the plane. He got mouthy when they asked some of those questions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.