Travois Medical Transfer (Ottawa/Peterborough area)

Bethadone

Has anyone ever worked for or have any information (good or bad) about Travois Medical Transfer? Apparently they've bought out pretty much all the rest of the patient transfer services in the Ottawa area and before I apply I'd like to get some information about how they are as an employer.

Thanks!

I have seen them around here. From what I have seen they at least appear more professional than some of the other service's (specifically Ambutrans) that frequent the GTA.

I still don't know what these guys are doing with that stethoscope around their neck. Anyway...

There really should be a company that buys out all of these services and sets in one provincial private transfer service. Get universal vehicles (I like those hightop van types that Voyageur uses) and have everyone have their MFR/EFR minimum +/- paramedic student. I don't know why this isn't done, it is quite lucrative from what I have heard.

This would at least show some universality (is that a word?) to the private transfer biz, will "clean up" some of the disrespect that these services get from real paramedics, and will (potentially) eliminate public misconception regarding these services. It really irks me when I see certain transfer services that have "paramedic" sprawled across the front of their vehicle...

If I had a few million kicking around I would seriously think of investing...

Im from Ottawa, had a buddy work for them after he graduated since there were about 1 job for every 50 graduates. Good way to pay off tuition though while going to school. How is it looking this spring, lot of retirees?

Im from Ottawa, had a buddy work for them after he graduated since there were about 1 job for every 50 graduates. Good way to pay off tuition though while going to school. How is it looking this spring, lot of retirees?

I'm an Alberta EMT and though I went through a CMA approved PCP program, it seems like far too much trouble to jump through the MOH's flaming hoops to transfer to an Ontario PCP, so I won't be stealing any jobs from the Algonquin graduates! I figure working casually for a patient transfer service will be a good way to keep some skills/knowledge up while I finish my degree at UOttawa before moving back to AB.

Thanks for the input

• 2 weeks later...

My friend at Travois in Ptbo told me they're in a hiring freeze at the moment as they're currently unionizing. I don't know if this affects Ottawa at all, but that might explain a bit. I applied to work with them at one point (prior to having my "F" as I was told they were looking for anyone at that point) had a great interview and wasn't hired because of not having the right liscense. No big deal. But then my friend who worked there told me my name was on the call-in lists. No one ever contacted me but I was confused as heck for a bit there.

Anyways, e-mail seems to be the only way to apply and from what I've seen there's a certain level of disorganization there. Perseverance is the name of the game. It'll hopefully impress the person hiring you that you're driving that hard for it at the very least.

- Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently working in Hamilton for Ontario Patient transfer. Travois is actually an offspring and Owned by OPT.

with both OPT and Travois together I believe we one of the biggest in Ontario covering Hamilton, Niagara, Durham, Peterborough and Ottawa.

If anyone is having trouble applying then try www.opt-med.com

As for the regulations there is alot of rumor in Hamilton right now about regulations coming down.

Has anyone else heard of this ? It would be very nice to see one entity running the province with proper reliable vehicles

Ive heard rumblings about standards/regulations being implimented into transfer services. This could be very beneficial for many reasons. I have tried to look into it but there doesnt seem to be much on the internet just yet. Ive heard through the grapevine that a standard will be implimented within the next two years, but have nothing to back up that claim.

Let me know if you hear more.

I do look forward to the day that there is a standard in place and some of these less than reputable companies are forced to clean up their act or fold.

• 1 year later...

They have been talking about regulating patient transfer services for at least 5 years. Anyone with a mini-van and a friend can legally transfer someone.

As for Travois, decent company but as some have said, the lack of communication is disheartening.

I used to work with Tracois when it was owned by OPT and Paladin. Seemed like a much better company then.

Still owned by OPT i think.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.