I have a job interview!

I am just so excited! The interview is in the next few weeks so I am going to use this time to prepare for it. I am also going to check out the pointers given here at EMT City to help with my interview.

I put in my application a few months ago and even though I had followed up on it a few times, I never expected to be called. They are an aggressive service and I hope they feel I will be a perfect fit for the position. Ok, time to come back down to earth........:)

Congradulations so far: Here are some proven tips fro one who has sat on many interviews for EMS and the military:

1. Listen to the questions carefully.

2.Do not wear gangsta, NASCAR, John Deere, or sports related clothing to any interview. This should go without saying but Americans are obsessed with looking like a bag of shite.

3. Tell them that you want to go to Paramedic school as soon as possible.

4. Make it known that you are ready to continue your training and education.

5. Show you have a sense of humor when posible.

6. Look the MFers straight in the eye. This business eats timid people.

7. No cell phones or pagers. (again, this should be common sense)

8. Dont mention volunteer squads, spouses, children, or the need to be off work on a regular basis.

9. Do your research on the department before you interview.

10. Thank the interveiwer/s for letting you present yourself and leaving with a smile.

Hope this helps

Somedic

Congrats! Feels good doesn't it. I just got hired on at a big level one trauma here. There application process was very long and alot of stuff involved, but I hope my escapade that I posted about doesn't hurt my chance, I am supposed to start on Monday. Let us know how it goes!

Jenn

Good points Somedic! I appreciate them greatly.:)

I'll be all ears, dressed in a sensible black suit with my cell phone in the car. I seldom carry it with me when I am in a place of business anyway.

I actually was in Paramedic class this past Fall but had to drop this semester due to my husband's urging at working more hours (I work two jobs now). If I get hired, that solves that and I am back in class next spring as I already completed one semester.

This business is grueling. I've been at it for 10 years and know far too well how it is a dog eat dog world. I have worked paid and volunteer during that time and have seen a lot of backbiting.

The company definitely needs to feel as though they are number one in my priorities and I want to assure them that I have an excellent work ethic.

I am taking the time to do a thorough history on the company I am interviewing with. I want to know call volume, radius, ect. and be armed with that information. I want them to know I have done my homework and that is actually how interested I am in seeking employment with their company.

I am a fan of thank you notes and I use them at every interview I have ever been on. It leaves a good taste in their mouth and hopefully they will think of me next time, even if I didn't make the cut this time around. And of course, I will flash them a smile and a hearty handshake at the end of the meeting:)

2.Do not wear gangsta, NASCAR, John Deere, or sports related clothing to any interview. This should go without saying but Americans are obsessed with looking like a bag of shite.

While it could be seen as offensive i thought that was bloody funny right there! :)

As for good advice, what he said!

I put in my application a few months ago and even though I had followed up on it a few times, I never expected to be called. They are an aggressive service...

You call that aggressive?

Sounds pretty passive to me. Down right lethargic, in fact. :?

Does sound like you are aggressive though, so good on you. You probably deserve a better employer though.

Good luck!

Good luck.....................get to know their policies and if they have a top 10 rules for the company get to know them. The why do u want to work for us? what can u bring to us? what are your advantages and disadvantages? etc etc.

Welcome to the family

Be safe and wear your latex (not at the interview) :o

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.