Today is surely NOT my day...

WannaBEMT

Well I was headed into town to get my daughter some V-day stuff and what do I get, a speeding ticket. I was going downhill and was clocked 59 in a 45. I honestly did not think I was speeding but I take full responsibility for it. The problem I am set to start my new job on Monday, and on my 7 year MVR I had a speeding ticket, was told that was OK, there was no points taken off, that was all I had...Until today. The officer told me I would get no points taken off my license but my recruiter who was my teacher said she has to look at it now. Not good to hear. I was told to go talk to the solicitor for the county. I have no idea what to do, but I am worried I just lost a job because of a stupid mistake. Does anyone have any advice for me, feeling pretty bad right now

Jenn

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take it to court. If you can, talk to the district attorney before the case starts. Usually there will be a line of people waiting. Be polite and humble, explain your situation. If the district attorney can, and is willing, many times they will allow you to plea it to a lesser offense, such as careless driving. Careless driving is one of those things that goes on your record but gives you no points on your license, depending on your jurisdiction.

The problem you may run into is that one, the DA may be a dick, and two, I believe speeding is one of those kind of "absolute offenses" that isn't open to interpretation or bargaining. For instance, say you got pulled over and didn't have your insurance card on you, and you were hit with driving without insurance. Now, you can go down to the court house, say "I do have insurance, here's my card, I just didn't have it with me" and then you have something silly like "failure to display documents" on your record which no one really cares about, or if even if they do, its a lot less than having your license yanked for driving without insurance.

Speeding, however, as I said before, I believe in most jurisdictions there really is no grey area. Either you are going the posted speed limit or you are not. If an officer with a properly calibrated radar gun attests under oath that you were going above the posted speed limit, then you are guilty of speeding. However, it never hurts to take it to court and try to plea it down, or at least give the courthouse a phone call. They can be more helpful than you might think, and you'll get the same information from them as you will from a pay site offering "E-Z Ticket solutions"

Thanks for the insight, what I don't understand is that the cop told me that it would NOT out points on my license, because it was not 15 MPH over. But the job I have they do not look at points, they look at offenses. I am going down to the court in the AM and see if I can do something about it. I am going to be really upset that this will stop me for getting a job I have been working towards for so long, finally get everything done, and ready to go and then I do something so stupid. I really do appreciate all the advice you all have given me. I hope that I can get something taken care of, the court date is March 9th and I will be in my orientation of my new job so asking off for that day, would be about impossible. So I hope I can figure out something.

Again thanks you guys, I see why everyone freaks out when they get speeding tickets now when they are in this profession...Lead foot=No job!

Jenn

Jenn, I understand completely. I do. My brother went through this recently.

My advice... Try to meet up with the DA, as the above poster said. You might be surprised at the result. Be humble, don't cop an attitude, plead your case, see what happens. I wish you the best of luck.

April

Thanks for the insight, what I don't understand is that the cop told me that it would NOT out points on my license, because it was not 15 MPH over. But the job I have they do not look at points, they look at offenses. I am going down to the court in the AM and see if I can do something about it. I am going to be really upset that this will stop me for getting a job I have been working towards for so long, finally get everything done, and ready to go and then I do something so stupid. I really do appreciate all the advice you all have given me. I hope that I can get something taken care of, the court date is March 9th and I will be in my orientation of my new job so asking off for that day, would be about impossible. So I hope I can figure out something.

Again thanks you guys, I see why everyone freaks out when they get speeding tickets now when they are in this profession...Lead foot=No job!

Jenn

Thanks you guys for the thougtful replies! I really do appreciate it more than you will ever know, I was afraid I would post and get the YOU ARE SO STUPID FR DOING THAT, but you guys helped me alot and I really appreciate it. I will start seeing what I can do tomorrow, hopefully I will have a good outcome to relay. We will see....

Jenn

First of all, I never would of said a word to my recruiter. They had already done your MVR check and hired you. Why screw it up by telling them about the ticket? In the future, do not be so forthcoming over minor moving violations.

Second, when you talk to the solicitor or judge and try to get this removed or reduced, PLEASE accept responsibility for your actions. For example, in your post you said you were going downhill and kinda used it in a context that implied the excessive speed was beyond your control. Even if you didnt mean it that way, thats how it came out so watch those little phrases when begging for mercy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.