driving in the breakdown lane

donedeal

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leader is an ambulance maker like Wheeled Coach, Horton, etc. http://www.leader-ambulance.com/

The reason I asked is because there are only 2 buttons for emergency transport. A 3 option Primary-off-Secondary button (the secondary only runs the amber lights on the back, the primary turns everything else on) and a headlight flasher button.

The answer to your question, is "it depends". As everyone has said before, if you were stuck in traffic and responding to a 911 job, yes, use of the breakdown lane would be fine, as long as you have your warning sirens on and proceed at a safe speed, although 60 MPH is not a safe speed, I would say. Now, if he just drove into the break down lane to get around a pod of cars, then yeah, he's being a dick, and I'll send him his "Randy Rescue" patch in the mail as soon as I get off the couch. The same applies to driving over the curb. Sometime you have to drive over the curb. Most times you don't have to drive over the curb, but it all depends on the situation. Maybe if you could fill me in on what exactly was going on in these situations, I'd have a better picture.

I will say that I think you overreacted maybe just a bit. In the grand scheme of things, even if the guy is being an asshole, driving in the breakdown lane and hopping a curb are not the worse things your partners can pull on a shift. I'm not saying he was right, but I am saying that the better approach would be to say to him "Look, it really makes me uncomfortable when your drive that way. Would you please not do that when I'm working with you?" is a much better and more mature approach than to run to management and go "I AM NEVER WORKING WITH HIM AGAIN!!!" You'll have a much easier time in your career if you always try to work things out with your partner first.

I guess we might have those...the light button setup you described is the kind we have.

I personally prefer the kind where you have an intermediate setting for steady red. That way you can legally still do certain maneuvers, but you don't freak out traffic.

As far as popping the curb, I have the same response to the FTO that didn't want me to use the hands free mode. Asanine.

Why the heck were you talking on a cellfone while driving anyhow?

Your FTO was right.

No, I am saying don't screw with the tones. It's not only pointless, it's dangerous. If your FTO knew WTF he was talking about, his arse would have been working the siren, relieving you of the responsibility, instead of just carping at you about it.

Turn it on. Drive to your destination. Turn it off. If traffic isn't responding, too bad. A different tone isn't going to make the difference. Slow down and wait for them. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. But multitasking is a top cause of accidents in non-emergency drivers. Imagine what it does to emergency drivers.

Ambulances spec'd by me have one siren control. That is a single on-off toggle switch. Everything else is for wankers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.