EMT student with a DUI... quit now?

rocketjaw

If Police Dept's. will hire someone with a DUI, the world isn't over for your "friend"...

Some jobs go back 5 years, some 7 years, some 10 for DUI. It all depends.

I do know of some Police officers and EMS personnel that have DUI/DWI's in the past.

He would have to check with the State EMS licensing agency. The only thing that I know of that is automatically disqualifying is a FELONY conviction.

Many Private ambulance companies may preclude your friend from driving because of insurance regs. But you would have to check and find out.

Former

I'll be honest with you, I would not want an EMT coming to save me drinking, but if it was just him being a stupid teenager and he's handled his problem, then I don't think it would be a problem. Besides, that would be his juvey record. Tell him to be honest about it though. Its always better to be honest from the get go than have it drug up later. That would make it look like he's hiding it, and maybe that he still has a problem.

• 2 months later...

This is why when I go out to bars with friends and if I drive myself there or drive them, I won't drink and drive. Most places around here won't charge for pop or water if they know you are driving. If I know I am going to drink, I have someone came and get me. My friends understand my reason behind it and support me 100%. Plus at the end of the night,if someone who is driving gets wasted,they have someone to count on for a sober driver.

Your friend should be upfront and honest about his DUI.

sara

I have a friend who used to call his parents all the time on friday and saturday nights to come get him cause he had too much to drink.

Last weekend his parents went out and had too much to drink and they called him at 11 or so and asked him to come get them. He was in the middle of a date but he and his date went to get them.

His parents always did threaten paybacks.

I dont know how it works in other states, but, in WI, you can send for a copy of your driver's abstract (which a copy of it also gets sent to the Dept of Health) It is my belief...but this is in WI though, insurance companies only go back 3 years. I got a OWI almost 8 years (5 yrs when I got my licenseand joined an ambulance provider) I had no problems. Maybe this may be the case as well. Good luck to your friend.

Dan

"Of all the things I have lost...I miss my mind the most"

My buddy in my class was convicted of a DUI when he was 17 and had his license revoked for a year. Hes thinking about quitting the class and forgetting about a career in EMS because of this. Someone told him that no company would take him when they saw a DUI on his record. THanks guys.

All records of minors are sealed so they could not see that a criminal charge was filed. The problem will be on the driving record. You can expunge certain driving records but it may be up to ten years. Also like others have said it depends on whose hiring. Baltimore City Police Department requires an applicant to wait until 5 years after a DWI. Alaska Police Standards allow up to three DWI's in ten years for applicants. Of course you aren't looking to be a cop but it's all public safety. Dropping out of an EMT course that is less than 150 hours is ridiculous. Stick with the program.

I'll be honest with you, I would not want an EMT coming to save me drinking, but if it was just him being a stupid teenager and he's handled his problem, then I don't think it would be a problem.

I don't think the EMT trainee was driving an ambulance or coming to save anybody for that matter. I've seen EMT's that I wouldn't want coming to save me sober.

All records of minors are sealed so they could not see that a criminal charge was filed.

Not if the minor was charged and tried as an adult. Given the tendency of prosecutors to take this route in dealing with kids it's not out of the realm of possibility.

It's happening more and more often that kids are being charged and tried as an adult. This would be something to verify before moving forward.

...but it's all public safety.

I disagree. But that's for another thread. ;)

-be safe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.