Got a great job offer now have a question...

WannaBEMT

I am so excited, I got an official job offer from a pretty big level one trauma center. I went and did the application process ,we had to do 2 written test, and a practical that included all of the EMT-I skills. I got the call on Friday with my offer. I am so pleased, but also very nervous. We have to ride with an FTO for about 6 weeks. What I am worried about is this being my 1st real job in this field and I am sure I will be very nervous with the FTO watching me, and the crew on that ambulance. Any tips you can give me for helping me out on my first days as an EMT. I have really appreciated all the advice I have gotten from you all in the past months. You all are a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate you sharing with me.

Thanks

Jenn

First of all, get some good sleep the night before. Second, show up to work AT LEAST 20 minutes early to show some enthusiasm. Third, if it's a good FTO, and good EMT/Medic (whichever), they will understand that you are new. My advice, pay attention to what you are doing. If they ask a question, give the simple answer. Don't try to impress them with extras, cause you'll only end up screwing it up. And finally, just learn something. That includes asking questions. If you're unsure, ask. I would be inclined to pass the person or doesn't know and asks so they can learn from it, rather than the person who thinks they know it all, and needs no direction.

Oh, and have fun!!! It's a rewarding career if you let it be!!!!

Congratulations Jenn, welcome to the show that never ends.

Do exactly what Scrat said, be on time, be enthusiastic and don't try to bull shit a bull shitter. Best advice I ever got or gave was keep your head down and your ears open, learn the lay of the land and the playas from the posers.

Your FTO should realize, and so should you, that everybody has a first time and now is the time for you to make rookie mistakes.

Also please realize that while it is polite to make the newbie feel at home, you are the one entering an already defined ecosystem and some bending on your part will also be necessary. What I have found helpful, whether precepting students or mentoring a new hire, ground rules help and the sooner they are established the better. Like over rig check the first day, which by the way, your FTO should NOT have to tell you needs to be done (maybe it's just me, but that is the surest way to make me put on the A.H. hat).

Have fun, enjoy the ride. The job will make you laugh, might make you cry, but you'll never regret for a minute doing it.

Thats GREAT.

congrats.... Is it going to be on a Medic unit, BLS unit or in the ER/OR..?

No matter.... What the other folks said is true. Another one is DEEP DEEP breaths. Think before you act.. Ohh and don't worry too much. Everyone was new once... Even Dust. LOL

You will be expected to make mistakes, and when you do,, just try to learn from them and don't repeat them.

I would hope that they give you some type of training manual or guide book.... and parameters that you are expected to meet.

Thats all. Good luck

Former

Congratulations on the job offer!! What an exciting time for you! All of the above advice is great. All of the advice from posts about students and ride time is applicable, also. As well as showing enthusiasm and doing things - watch. Everyone has a lesson to offer. Some of these lessons could possibly be what not to do or how not to be. Use common sense. As you watch and get to know the Medics you work with, choose wisely your mentors. We all have mentors - people whose knowledge, skill, and demeanor we want to emulate.

The learning is just beginning, and it lasts a lifetime. Remain a student, but be comfortable and confident in those things you do know. And finally, realize that you also are a teacher. No matter where you are within EMS. You might be the only, or the first, EMT someone sees. Make sure they are left with a good impression of a professional within the medical community.

Again, congratulations!!! Have fun.....

"Like over rig check the first day, which by the way, your FTO should NOT have to tell you needs to be done (maybe it's just me, but that is the surest way to make me put on the A.H. hat).

Check the truck out what's that?? Can I play with the siren??

IF any new person starts and doesn't know that the truck needs to be checked out without asking doesn't belong on the road.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.