pacemakers

zzyzx

Most of the pacers that I have seen have been implanted in the left upper chest, but I have seen a few that were implanted in the abdomen & the right upper chest. Most pacer patient's usually have a small scar & sometimes you can feel & see an outline of the pacer.

Most new pacemakers and ICDs are getting very discreet. The current models are just 1.5-2 inches square and < 1/4" thick. Many times, they are implanted in a pocket subdurally, however it is becoming increasingly popular, especially in younger people to implant them subpectorally for extra protection and cosmetic purposes. It is also possible to have them implanted not only as aforementioned abdominally or right-sided, but also rather than directly under the clavicle to have them placed more laterally toward the midaxillary line, or even within the breast tissue in females. Incisions as well are becoming much smaller and unless you look specifically, you may overlook some of the more discreet insertions.

Unless I point it out, nobody would find my device. Often you can feel a ridge on the lateral edge where the interface of the leads connects with the battery/processor unit, but again it is not usually a glaring finding.

Also most current models are demand pacers, and often times may have a low pace rate of 50bpm. If your patient is in NSR and their intrinsic rate is capable of exceeding 50bpm, they will not be paced and therefore only the sensing by the internal leads is detected. Unless you have a new model of monitor capable of direct telemetry you may have no idea unless they are being overtly paced. That being said, hopefully in most cases your patient will have informed you or you will have access to PMH or their implant ID.

Hope this helps,

crazycanuck

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.