Parents

AMESEMT

I want to say thank you for those who posted awhile ago in a forum about how to deal with the parents who are not supportive of going into the EMS field. I am a full-time college student in accounting/international business and an EMT-B student as well. My mother (and financial support) was not exactly thrilled when I wanted to even take the EMT-B class. I am currently thinking and planning on going to U of I to the Paramedic program, which will mean I am taking 32 weeks off of accounting and internation business degree. I know my mother will not be happy, but I do plan on finishing my degree program when I am finished with the paramedic program. Someone posted that you just need to let them deal with it and do what makes you happy. Has anyone recently encountered this and what did you do?

Finish your other degree first. If thats what makes you happy. Your mother is paying your tuition, use it while you can. You can go places with that degree. If you go into paramedicine, you're not going much further. Unless you do med school or something. Wait till you're done with EMT school to see if you even like it first.

I have an accounting degree myself. I completed it a few years ago. Never pursued my actual certifications as a CMA because I knew a while ago that I had lost interest in that career. But the knowledge is good and snug under my belt.

My decision to go into EMS happened less then a year ago and I'm well on my way (in EMT school now with just a couple months before practicum).

What I know for sure...is that a base knowledge of business will serve you well whatever career you pursue later on. It will make transferring into a non field position in EMS down the road possibly easier. You have a solid foundation of understanding for the hows and whys of what is going on administratively in any service.

As well...actually completing the current degree will be a good example of your level of maturity and commitment to future employers. Not to mention making your mom happy.

And finally, your degree in business will provide you with a means to supplement your income while you're in school, or while you are working less then fulltime hours in EMS. It is a safe and reliable crutch to fall back on.

I am encountering that I do not enjoy accounting, hence the move to EMS. I do want to finish it since I am in my junior year (still have 2-3 semesters left) and it would be foolish to have spent that much money on something I would not complete. I do plan on taking a class or two each semester online while doing my paramedic to stay somewhat on track. I have started to lean towards getting my Paramedic since all my loans will continued to be deferred (that is how I pay for college) and I can get deferred loans for the paramedic class. Thanks for the input and hope to get more!

My mother is the same way. I've heard all her crap about how I should do something where I can make more money or have more of a prestigious career. But once I told her that I was going to do it anyway, she was still pissed. She still wants me to do something different, but I make it a point to tell her about our saves and all our really exciting calls. Then, last month when she got sick and I knew what was wrong with her and what she needed to do, I think she really got the idea that this isn't a meaningless job and that I really love what I do. Don't lose hope. As long as they will still support your other goals, keep the peace. They'll get the picture eventually, even if it takes a sickness on their part to get it.

I would also suggest finishing your accounting degree while you have a chance. My advice to anyone who wants to work in EMS as a career is to have a back up plan if you get injured, ill, or just can't do the job anymore. Also, if you finish your degree, you'll be demonstrating a mature and rationale look on life, and your mother may see your intentions as well thought out and planned, rather than it being some whim that you went off on in some fit of youthful indiscretion.

I feel for you. I left college in my third year after studying just about everything and progressing in nothing to become a paramedic. Lucky for me, my parents, while being unsure if I'd be able to accomplish it, were pretty supportive and helped me out along the way. Good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.