Research Paper Topics

cfaulknor

Hello

For my Paramedic Class, we will be required to write four reasearch papers, each with six pages of material. The instructor said that he rarely gives 100's, and would only give them for papers that really amazed him. I am taking this as a challenge, and trying to come up with some really off-the-wall topics that would make the reader pause and look more carefully at my paper. I'm looking for some interesting suggestions for these papers, if anyone wants to give me some good ideas. I appreciate your help. The guidelines are below.

Paper 1: Pathophysiology of a Disease

Paper 2: Cardiology of a Rhythm

Paper 3: Pharmacology of a Drug

Paper 4: Hematology or Shock

Off the wall topics, obscure diseases and such are interesting, no doubt, but my suggestion for the first paper, "Pathophysiology of a Disease", would be to impress your instructor with a thoroughly researched paper on a disease that we commonly see and affects many people. For example, Diabetes, Artherosclerosis, Hypertension. These 3 diseases are not only widespread, but they have diverse effects on multiple organ systems, and there is an almost limitless depth of information to learn about.

I would bet that a well planned dissertation concerning etiology, sequalae, treatment, prognoses, etc. would not only impress your instructor, but would give you an armament of knowledge that will be useful to you throughout your career.

As well as the topic, I am sure he would love to see a well written paper. I would look up the current APA format on how to properly write a thesis and follow their suggestions. Scientific papers are written following that format and should be graded accordingly.

Suggested topics:

Rhabdomyolysis and field treatment

Use of Leach and Maggot therapy

Pharmacology of p.o. meds and how they are distributed as well as combination effects they have with medications we administer. Diet (such as green leafy vegetables, cheese, etc.. can be contraindicated) distribution... or even how sublingual medications are really absorbed.. (please more than through the bucossa) ...

Good luck,

R/r 911

The microbiology of infection control is a good topic for several reasons. First, it is relevant to everyday paramedic practise, so it doesn't look like you're reaching out of your scope. Second, there is a huge body of research and knowledge already in the literature, so you're going to have no problem finding plenty of references. Third, it is a topic that you can actually present recommendations for. You can talk about ITP, but you're not going to be able to enlighten any field medic on the diagnostics or therapy for the condition, because it is not within their scope. On the other hand, you can put forth concluding recommendations for infection control that every medic can and should be practising daily.

And finally, you don't have to worry about anybody else in your class choosing the same topic. Nobody likes infection control. Not only is it not as sexy as trauma or critical care medicine, nobody really wants to know about infection control because it causes them more work. Consequently, yours will be the only paper on that subject, so you don't get compared to somebody else's paper, giving you a better shot at a good grade.

I don't know if this is just a paper or will also be a presentation, but a good way to organize a medical presentation is to organize it in the following manner:

D-definition

E-etiology

E-epidemiology

P-pathophysiology

S-signs and symptoms

I-interventions (testing and treatment)

X-extra information

A good way to choose a topic is to look and see what your weaknesses are. This is the best way to learn what you have trouble with. If you have trouble understanding the tachyarrhythmias, do your paper on them. An interesting topic for the rhythm paper that I find very few field providers know about is Aschmans Phenomenon (sp?) though I don't know if you can get a 6 page paper out of it.