Any advice for an up and coming EMT-B?

rocketjaw

Hey I'm new to the forum. So far it seems like a pretty cool place to just come and read about EMS related stuff. I'm about to start my EMT classes and I'm really excited. I'm in an accelerated course, so I go to class every saturday and sunday from 8 to 4. By the end of march I should have my EMT license. I heard the class is really tough, does anyone have some pointers or tips for getting prepared for this course? I aced my first responder class no problem, but from what I understand the EMT/Medic classes are on a whole different level. I also have one other question. I was flipping through my EMT book and there are some gnarly pictures in there. Now I'm not squimish or anything, I know what to expect getting myself into this profession that I have such a personal interest in. THe thing is I have never seen anything really graphic in real life like an amputated arm or a massive avulsion, so I dont know how I am going to react. My first ambulance ride along is in like 2 weeks and I'm a little nervous. How did some of you guys react to your first site of something really bloody or disturbing. Thanks guys

Rocketjaw....OK First dont let your screen name become your reputation. EMT school is nothing to worry about. Its like First responder with extra hours. As far as seeing graphic stuff? You either handle it or you dont and you wont know that until experience it for yourself. Some seasoned Paramedics still have a hard time with bad things its only human nature. The problem becomes when you compromise your partner and/or your patient because of your emotions.

Its a tough, brutal world beyond high school. Be ready and study hard.

Somedic

First off stop worrying so much about it. I am one to disagree with the "rushed" classes, but hey I guess it depends on how fast you learn. As far as the gross stuff, I agree with somedic, you either handle it or you don't. Most emt's that I know can handle the gross stuff, it's the kids that get to them. But to be perfectly honest with you, you don't really notice the gross stuff til afterwords. You are so focused on treating the pt and getting to ER that you don't really "see" it. Learn to have a gross sense of humor, it will help in the long run. That is how most people handle it is by joking around. And if you see anything too bad, you can always go to another EMT or Medic and discuss it.

Don't let the class freak you out. Take one day at a time, pay attention, you'll do fine. Number one rule in EMS is: people die, sometimes even the little ones. The sooner you realize that the better off you're going to be. Breath...... you'll be just fine.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I am a recently licensed EMT-I and I remember all to well the nervousness of going on my clinical ride alongs. I was nervous that I might get sick if something looked really bad, etc...Even though it usually didn't bother me (blood) but I like you had never seen anything really "graphic" but I got a GSW to the head and chest my 1st intermediate ride and you know what? Your adrenelin level is running SO high, you do everything you need to be doing and then whe you ardone with call look back and say "Holy Sh*t" I cannot believe I just did that!!!

You will do fine, come back and tell us about your best call!!

Jenn

Hi, welcome to the city! Don't worry about classes at the basic level its pretty easy (at least i thought so) if you study right. As far as dealing and handling the gross stuff, theres stuff where you won't even notice till afterwards and then there are one's where you my puke and then go right back and do what you were doing before you puked. Just the other day I did a call with a medic who has been in the field for 20+ years and we got an OD who was puking up lung tissue and he got puked on pretty close to the face and he yacked on me then he went right back to trying to tube him. But those kind of calls are far between, here anyway. To me those calls are fun maybe its because i amb still new (in the field for 2.5 yrs) but i still love the gross, nasty, icky things. Well again welcome to the city and EMS.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.