How to Choose a Good Medic School?

AnthonyM83

O.K. thanks for the info... I looked on line for the LA County Paramedic Protocols, and could not find them... That is very interesting...

That is the same thing NYC is seeing.. A bunch of 20 somethings who want to be Firefighters, go into EMS, sspend a few years on the Ambulance and then take the "in house test" for FF, if they pass they are pretty much fast tracked into the Fire side. So what do you get when you call an Ambulance in NYC???.... An EMT who tries his/her best but really wants to be a FF and isn't interested for the most part in becoming a medic or learning anything but the basics of their job.

Before you all attack me; I'm Not saying ALL EMT's are like that, but there is a large portion of the new FDNY EMS that is.

My thoughts are my own and do not represnt my agency or dept.

As I get to know my fellow classmates better (Los Angeles County situated EMT-B course) and where they are heading, it appears out of 36 students it's a split between the FD and pre-med, with the FD winning out. The smallest group, and the one I'm in, is neither, and it's a bit disheartening to hear our instructors basically saying, "Private agency EMT-Paramedic goals are a ticket to nowhere."

What they are saying bodes ill for "civilian" side EMS overall, and is indicative of a profession shooting itself in the foot.

Most of that sentiment seems to come from the younger post-graduate students who are "teaching" large blocks of our classes and labs. It comes from being too young to see yourself as anything but a CEO and I emphasized the word teaching as, while they know the material, they can’t "teach" their way out of paper bags. This is a group that needs to attend a "fundamentals of instruction class" in the worst way as, I'm sorry, but reading PowerPoint slides, one after another, with little embellishment, with the point being getting out of class early, is not teaching.

I've resigned myself to the realization that what I get out of this course will depend on what I do for myself. And that's fine because I'm motivated to learn. However, I'm not so sure that's the case with most of the other students who have other goals.

To stay on topic, the below is verbatim from the LA County FD's website at: http://www.joinlafd.org/EMT_Paramedics.htm

I never realized there was a "hero" school . . .

NickD :D

EMT-B Student

>>The LAFD’s STARTING salary is $48,608 - $73,121 a year

BECOME A HERO. LAFD IS NOW HIRING!

Becoming an EMT-1/Paramedic

Becoming an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT-1) is one very effective way to prepare for a career in the fire service. An EMT is the first step towards becoming a Paramedic and is an essential part of the day-to-day activities of every Firefighter.

Upon successful completion of the training, you will be qualified for the State Certification. You will also be eligible for employment with an ambulance provider, hospital emergency departments, and clinics. This is an excellent way of getting that first hand exposure and experience that you will need to become a successful Firefighter.

The following facilities provide Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) programs. Those with an asterisk (*) also provide paramedic training programs:

APT Associated Schools

3775 S. Crenshaw Boulevard

Los Angeles, CA 90016

Central Medical Center

600 S. Harvard Boulevard

Los Angeles, CA 90005

Phone: 213-384-8585

College of Oceaneering *

272 S. Fries Avenue

Wilmington, CA 90744

Phone: 310-834-2501

Daniel Freeman Memorial Hospital *

333 North Prairie Avenue 1

Inglewood, CA 90301

310-674-7050, x3580

East San Gabriel Valley R.O.P.

1024 West Workman Avenue

West Covina, CA 91790

Phone: 626-335-5350

Glendale Community College

2361 Florencita Avenue, Suite F

Montrose, CA 91020

Phone: 818-240-1000

Lakewood Regional Medical Center

2669 N. Myrtle Street

Long Beach, CA 90806

Phone: 714-377-0252

Los Angeles County Dept.

of Health Services *

Paramedic Training Institute (PTI)

5555 Ferguson Drive, Suite 220

Commerce, CA 90022

Phone: 323-890-7500

North Valley Occupational Center

Pacoima Skills Center

11450 Sharp Avenue

Mission Hills, CA 91345

Phone: 818-365-9645

Mt. San Antonio College *

1100 North Grand Avenue

Walnut, CA 91789

Phone: 909-594-5611, x4750

Tri-Cities R.O.P.

9401 South Painter Avenue

Whittier, CA 90024

Phone: 562-698-9571

UCLA Emergency Medical Center *

924 Westwood Boulevard, Suite 720

Los Angeles, CA 90024

Phone: 310-679-7050

Los Angeles Valley College

5800 Fulton Ave.

Valley Glen, CA 91401

Phone: 818-947-2600

There are three approved EMT- Paramedic training programs in Los Angeles County. For information contact the organizations listed below.

Los Angeles County Dept. of Health Services

Paramedic Training Institute (PTI)

5555 Ferguson Drive, Suite 220

Commerce, CA 90022

Phone: 323-890-7500

(5 month program)

Daniel Freeman Memorial Hospital

333 North Prairie Avenue 1

Inglewood, CA 90301

Phone: 310-674-7050, x3407

(5 month program)

Mt. San Antonio College

1100 North Grand Avenue

Walnut, CA 91789

Phone: 909-594-5611, x4750

(6 month program)<<

Most of that sentiment seems to come from the younger post-graduate students who are "teaching" large blocks of our classes and labs. It comes from being too young to see yourself as anything but a CEO and I emphasized the word teaching as, while they know the material, they can’t "teach" their way out of paper bags. This is a group that needs to attend a "fundamentals of instruction class" in the worst way as, I'm sorry, but reading PowerPoint slides, one after another, with little embellishment, with the point being getting out of class early, is not teaching.

Strange, I could say the same thing about a good number of college professors that I've had. Powerpoint lectures=sleep time. I've never understood how people can't figure out that a visual aid is supposed to aid a lecture, not be a lecture.

Side note, I love this picture from LAFD's website.

WomAmbulance.jpg

Sure, it's a promo picture, but I love the entire no O2 to the NRB (empty bag) and the medic in the back using the radio with gloves on. All of this, of course, done in turnout gear.

...it's a bit disheartening to hear our instructors basically saying, "Private agency EMT-Paramedic goals are a ticket to nowhere."

Kalifornia EMS is a ticket to nowhere, so those instructors are more correct than even they realise.

I feel your pain, bro. But you'll always be in pain in Kalifornia. You're too good for that.

And you're right on about the pointlessness of all this PowerPoint crap that seems to dominate what passes for "education" these days.