Contacts and EMS

vcfd35s

Im getting ready to be rollin on a 24 hour 911 rig in the Los Angeles, CA. However, I wear contacts and i was wondering how you guys handled that. My contacts begin to bug me after about 12 hours. What happens with those midnight and after runs? Do you carry re-wetting drops or before you go to bed do you wear your glasses?? Any ideas that have seemed to work for you guys, please let me know. Thanks

I can't wear mine for more than 12 hours or my eyes become instantly blood shot. I look like a drug addict. I bring my glasses. I also can't stand wearing them to bed then waking up with that cloudy vision like you're been swimming in a pool with your eyes open. I never sleep with mine in.

I wear Focus Night and Days which are designed to be worn for extended periods. I switched to those when I started working 24's so I could sleep with them and so I wouldn't have to fiddle around trying to put lenses in while half awake when a middle of the night call came across lol. After waking up they have a tendency to be a little dry but hit them with rewetting drops and they're fine. Other than that I've had no problems with them. I always keep an extra pair with me when I'm working as well. Theoretically you can wear them 30 days straight but I usually take them out when I go to sleep at home (I work 12's now). Doing this I can get up to 6 weeks out of a pair since I'm not wearing them round the clock.

I'm about to go on a 24 hour shift, too. I've worked a few on OT, though, and I didn't really have problems sleeping in them.

Every now and then one might get out of place or unfocused and you'll have to slide it back inito place. Or you might close your eye and pull on both your eyelids a bit...it creates a suction and air rushes under the contact across your eye and helps unstick them from your eye. I do carry eye drops, though, and 2nd pair in case they fall out at work.

If I know I'm only going to sleep for a couple hours then I'll leave them in. If I am headed for a full night's sleep, I will yank them and take my glasses with me. I will also take an extra pair of contacts and I would advise keeping some really good comfort drops (like Systane) in your pocket. They're worth their weight in gold if you're up for a long shift.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

I carry a small bottle of rewetting drops and my glasses w/ me at all times... Mine get dry after twelve hours, kind of like what everyone else says... I hate wearing the glasses, but carrying them with me has saved my butt more than a few times.

Good luck on your new shift, sounds like it'll be an adventure :D

April

Im getting ready to be rollin on a 24 hour 911 rig in the Los Angeles, CA. However, I wear contacts and i was wondering how you guys handled that. My contacts begin to bug me after about 12 hours. What happens with those midnight and after runs? Do you carry re-wetting drops or before you go to bed do you wear your glasses?? Any ideas that have seemed to work for you guys, please let me know. Thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.