E.M.S. and ego's

notsobrite

Nosobrite,

Even after I became a paramedic, I continued to run calls with my BLS squad for about a year. I couldn't take it any longer than that! You definately made the right choice. These are the type of people who can talk on the radio, play incident screwup (I mean command), and recognize all 50 different tones for all local agencies, but they can't tell you a thing about the pt after being on scene for 20 minutes. You're not missing anything. Run...quickly....don't turn around. And definately don't make eye contact....it angers them... :)

ah ah ah ah ah ah...thats a funny post. You'll see that everywhere. I think, correct me if I'm wrong, but a job where you need to take a certain amount of pride because of what it is the job sometimes involve. You do get on rare occasions a call where someone truely requires your help. Whether you make a difference or not is for you to decide but yes, you will get the ego because you need to be a very assertive, confident health worked when you're out there.

I'm sorry its just a great post :D

Speaking from my personal experiences and observations over the years there seems to be a few different types of ego out there and they soon become obvious. The one I can most relate to is the "I know a bit about this, have been doing it for a while so don't try and tell me anything" ego. This is rife in EMS and will rear it's head in most people starting out in EMS at some stage. I was a shocker in my earlier days with the peak being about 4 years into the job. I don't really see it as a failing and think of it more as a process that most of us go through. The best news is there is a cure, knowledge is a great leveler. The more I study and learn about medicine, the more I realise how little I really do know and how misplaced my youthful ego really was. Yes you do come across the senior medics, Dr's, nurses etc who also display the same type of behavior. I feel that in this circumstance they are either a little insecure about their own abilities or the confirmed lifelong type A personalities that feel that no-one could ever do it as well as they do. To do our job well we need to be able to take control of crazy situations and direct personnel and by-standers in a way that is both assertive and considerate. It can be a fine line sometimes!

Timmy, a lot of your comments remind me of what I was like when very new and green. A very senior and wise medic gave me some advice that turned out to be so true that I wished I had payed more attention at the time. He said "Son, the only difference between you and me is that you don't even know enough to know how little you really know!". I think I rolled my eyes at the time, probably just like you are reading this now :D

No I’m defiantly not rolling my eyes! The more I read, the more I post the more I get yelled at makes me think that sometimes (most of the time) I look like an ego tripping tosser, but as most people say that the young ones often are then as they get older they learn more, they start to relies there mistakes and mature into fine medics which I’m hoping I will become one day. Please excuse my young adolescent immaturity and egoness.

You’ll be glad to know Oz that right at this minute I’m doing my 80 question biology homework whilst on school holidays as my year 12 teacher is a complete moron and is making us do year 12 work even though we haven’t started school yet. Not to mention my psychology and English essays. This is completely unfair as most schools around here only have to do pre reading! I also had some mates give me there monash medic courses books from last year that I’m gana look over…

You’ll be glad to know Oz that right at this minute I’m doing my 80 question biology homework whilst on school holidays as my year 12 teacher is a complete moron and is making us do year 12 work even though we haven’t started school yet. Not to mention my psychology and English essays. This is completely unfair as most schools around here only have to do pre reading! I also had some mates give me there monash medic courses books from last year that I’m gana look over…

I am glad to hear it mate and to read the rest of your post. I wish I had such a moron teacher when I was at school. If someone had taken more interest in me then I may not have left school at the age of 15. Soak it up mate and you will do it lot easier and earlier than I have done. I could have finished the study I am doing now at the age of 25 instead of 35. You are eons ahead of me when I was your age and should be excited about your future. Any male between the age of 13 to 25 has to deal with the "young, dumb and full of cum" factor that while a lot of fun, can override maturity and judgement more often than not. I think you are doing a remarkable job of it so far and look foreword to watching you development :wink:

"Son, the only difference between you and me is that you don't even know enough to know how little you really know!"

Crikey! Serious words of wisdom, this belongs up there with the anonymous "Dont impose your limitations on me" phrase :shock:

True that Oz...i wish i had Timmy's drive for personal and professional development, im afraid ive stalled among the academic politics that is the world of acadamia :?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.