Problems with fully automatic AEDs?

dzmohr

Before this topic continues, I have to know...

Is anybody even currently selling a full auto defib? Or is this just a theoretical discussion about some dinosaur you found on eBay?

I thought those were completely abandoned when the SAEDs came out.

WTF? :?

Hehe :)

Theoretical (at least on my part)

This is what was described to me by a bloke who did a lot of work with physio control and laerdal, said they developed the technology but people were scared of it, most of what they did ended up in SAED's anyway

Before this topic continues, I have to know...

Is anybody even currently selling a full auto defib? Or is this just a theoretical discussion about some dinosaur you found on eBay?

I thought those were completely abandoned when the SAEDs came out.

WTF? :?

Shh, you don't want to knock UCLA's campus EMS off their high horse because SAEDs are so much harder to use.

Q: I heard you are defibrillator trained. How can I get that?

A: The defibrillator adjunct is a separate certification that must be renewed every 6 months and "attaches" to your basic EMT-1 certification. This training is only valid when done under the direction of an EMS program’s medical director. Because of this you can not take a course to become certified in the use of a defibrillator, it must be offered through the agency you work for. We will provide this training if you are hired. The American Red Cross offers a course in the use of AEDs (automatic external defibrillators). This is not the same. Our EMTs operate a bi-phasic Zoll® M-Series SAED (semi-automatic external defibrillator) which requires much more training and expertise in using than a typical AED. Some of our EMTs have also completed a course in EKG rhythm interpretation- also not a typical EMT skill. Incidentally, we apply our defibrillator to patients several times a year.

http://www.ems.ucla.edu/FAQ.htm#I%20heard%...20defibrillator

I lol'd when I read that because, you know, an EMT actually knowing the rhythm is so helpful when deciding how much O2 to give and having to turn the switch to "AED mode" is really that much more complicated than pushing the "On" button. :? While understanding the basics of heart physiology and different rhythms, I wouldn't call it a BLS "skill."

Our EMTs operate a bi-phasic Zoll® M-Series SAED (semi-automatic external defibrillator) which requires much more training and expertise in using than a typical AED. Some of our EMTs have also completed a course in EKG rhythm interpretation- also not a typical EMT skill.

Crikey!

I could think of cheaper SAED's to buy, especially when only "Some" of your people can read ECG's :shock:

LOL! What a load of self-aggrandising crap. :roll:

If they can only do with their Medical Directors orders what the ordinary citizen with a Red Cross card can do at the mall, I'd have to say their team sucks. And using the $15 thousand dollar AED doesn't make you any better than the guy who uses the $15 hundred dollar one either.

Wankers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.