Off the road Access Vehicles

Hey all im new here but wanted to say great forum!!!!! Tons of useful and pertinent info!!!!!

One of my strong points is bringin EMS off road. I am big time into ATV'ing and stress so much to all the guys i ride with about knowing at least the basics when it comes to first aid/cpr on the trails. I am looking to get something for rural responses for both Fire and EMS such as a Polaris Ranger. I think that access is an important factor with patient care and right now access to some of the places I ride with multiple others is near impossible to get to except on ATV or a serious All terrain vehicle. Does anyone currently have such a vehicle they use???

At my full time, we have a John Deere Gator, which was donated to us. We do not much rural area in our first due, so it does not get used much. Usually at large special events.

My part time has a Polaris. Hasn't gotten used much, but last year it got broken in well, 2 days of searching for a missing hunter.

My area also have a J.D. Gator 6WD which has been extensively modified to carry the top of a ferno 50 stretcher and 2 medics with their equipment. We mainly use it for a major annual event we have that involves 25,000 people camping out in the bush. My station also has a modified Landcruiser troop carrier that I utilise to access patients on the extensive remote beaches, national parks and large sand island that my area covers.

We also have a John Deere Gator, which again has been modified to carry the Ferno and our gear; also have ATV’s that we use at Motocross. We also have a golf buggy thingo that’s been modified to have the Ferno on it; we use this for Major events. Sometimes I take my dirt bike to the Enduro races they have up in the mountains.

We also have Toyota Twin Cab 4x4s, Subaru Foresters, Toyota Troopys, Nissan 4x4s.

Just be carefully with Polaris, they are pretty hard to maintain if your using them on a regular basics.

My advice: First Aid, good, very good. Focus on it as much as possible. CPR... in the woods... off of an ATV trail... eh, not so much. Well, I guess the heimleich/choking stuff but beyond that, I'd say learn to administer last rites instead.

Somewhat related is my service has 3 "Wildernes Response Units" consisting of a snow machine with a sled on the back for transport. In fact, two days ago we got to use the one in our area for the first time in its existence for 2 patients who were ~0.5mi out on the ice of a lake. One with a femoral # and the other with a c-spine #. :shock:

One with a femoral # and the other with a c-spine #. :shock:

What the hell did they do out in the middle of nowhere on a block of ice?

We have 5 Gators, all are 6WD, 2 of the 5 are outfitted with platorm in the back which carries our Stryker MX-PRO stretcher, 2 medics, equipment. The Gator also has LED warning lights, lightbars and siren to move the crowd. We host one of the biggest night parades (Edison Festival of Lights) in the united states with over 100,000 people in attendance.

What the hell did they do out in the middle of nowhere on a block of ice?

We have 5 Gators, all are 6WD, 2 of the 5 are outfitted with platorm in the back which carries our Stryker MX-PRO stretcher, 2 medics, equipment. The Gator also has LED warning lights, lightbars and siren to move the crowd. We host one of the biggest night parades (Edison Festival of Lights) in the united states with over 100,000 people in attendance.

Riding a snow machine at god awful speed and hit ice that was sticking up. Launched 'em good.

I work part time at a MX track. Most of the METs ride ATVs with an aid bag. WE have one vehicle, I will have to check the make, we call the mule. We have LSB's strpped to the top ans can strap on down acrooss the back with the patient. Works well for our needs.

SARGE

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.