Call Review, feeling bad…

Timmy

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His BP doesn't seem that high for the typical "blowout" bleed.

12 hours of nosebleed that doesn't stop? I would be concerned for a coagulopathy. Among the boatload of medicines he takes could be coumadin, plavix, aspirin, or other meds that could cause coagulopathy (clotting problems) or thrombocytopenia (lack of platelets). These kinds of nosebleeds, while usually not life-threatening of themselves, often signal a serious underlying problem.

Timmy, you did the right thing by calling the medics. You could have gotten away with BLS transport if it was available, or even let him go by car, but he needed to be checked one way or another. I agree that you should avoid arguing in front of a patient, but you were right to voice your concerns. The question to ask yourself now, is, was there a better way to do it?

'zilla

I think you did the right thing given your patient's history & presentation. Epistaxis can be a life threatening emergency, especially in patients with CAD & HTN. Many patients with CAD & HTN are on Aspirin or other NSAID related therapies which can make epistaxis worse.

Anything that bleeds for 12 hours can indicate clotting problems. He had had a stent so he was on was at least on aspirin, if not coumadin. If it was really 40 degrees then the was probably dehydrated. The average male does not drink enough water, combine the blood loss, dehydration, hx, and if I remember correctly chest pains? (correct me if I am wrong) I would have called EMS. I mean a twelve lead and some fluids on that one would have been nice? Right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.