Would appreciate some advise; I think I damaged my hand.

Holocene

First let me apologize. I know this is off-topic, and I know you guys are not doctors.

I work full-time as a mechanic, and it can really take its toll on your hands. For the past month, I had been experiencing a very sharp pain in my palm, but only when pressure was applied to it. Being dumb, I totally neglected it and figured it might go away.

Well, today I'm a bit more worried about it, because something seems to be wrong with my right hand.

If I hold my hand out straight, with my fingers also straight, I can't close all my fingers together like I can in my left hand. The pinky finger and middle fingers will not respond, and will not close together. It's like part of my hand is paralyzed. Now, I can bend all my fingers, but when I hold them out straight, I can't close them (so they all though each other). If I simply relax my hand (fingers slightly bent), then I can close all my fingers together without a problem.

Someone please tell me this is due to inflammation or something, and that I haven't done permanent damage!

My health insurance sucks! The first $500 I spend comes out of MY pocket.

Thanks a lot.

You are right we are not doctors but many of us will take stabs at it.

First off I say, go to the doctor - only they can really diagnose you and the fact that it has gotten worse is a prime indication of needing to go to the doctor.

It could be several things -

1. carpal tunnel

2. compartment syndrome

3. did you get stuck in the hand with something that you can remember? If so then there might be an infection or a foreign body in your hand.

I cannot reiterate this enough - GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR EAT THE FIRST 500, your hand will thank you. You can't really provide a living for you and your family if you only have one hand.

My wife woke up one morning with tingling in her pinky and ring finger. Long story short, her ulnar nerve was pinched in a notch in the bone. This is something that just happened, no injury. She had an "ulnar nerve transposition" which is a fancy way of saying the orthopod surgically moved her nerve and wrapped it up in the muscle to keep it from slipping back into the notch. Without the surgery she would have lost most of her hand function within 6 months to a year (per the surgeon) and the damage may not have been reversible.

Is that whay you have? I got no idea. But you're a mechanic and we're talking about your hand here my friend. Get your butt (and your hand) to the doctor pronto.

I am no doctor, but I can tell you from personal experience that it does suck and you need to see a doctor.

I used to play Bass trombone in High school. The weight of the heavy instrument in my left hand cased me to get something in it. It still worked enough so I could operate the instrument, but I had to tape it to my arm. I eventually realized that when I got pneumonia and did not hold the damn thing for two weeks that it was probably swelling in my carpal tunnels. Probably all it is for you, too. However, you cannot simply stop using that hand. You have to go to a doctor.