Question for Pennsylvannia EMS providers

One of our PT EMTs is taking an EMT-I class in the pittsburgh area. Who ever is teaching this class has put the idea in this guy's head that if he takes this class as of next year he'll "be able to intubate". I'm not aware of any movement to add EMT-I to PA's certification list, at least not in the near future. In fact, in terms of intuabtion I hear a lot of talk about how prehospital intuabtion may not be a good thing when performed by medics, let a lone EMTs.

This guy is a bit gullable and I'm thinking he misunderstood or is being out right mislead. I also assume he's putting out a ton of money to take this course. I'd like to check this out before other people start getting the idea that they want to attend too.

Anyone know of a school that is teaching EMT-I in the Pittsburgh area and why they are doing it?

Actually hes right on the money....sort of.

Recently, a national scope of practice was established nationwide for all states to enact. This included an AEMT certification, or "advanced EMT". It will act as the middle level between the current EMT-B and EMT-P certified scopes of practices.

PA Act 45 is being rewritten as we speak to accomidate for the changes, and currently includes in its rewritten form this AEMT level.

Now, in regards to prehospital ETI, AEMT level will be performing no airway skills above combitube airway insertions. All ETI, LMA, surgical airways and other adjuncts of a high skill level will be left to Paramedics and above.

If you want more information of the goings on in the state, check out

www.pehsc.org

for more information.

PRPG

Now that you mention it I do remember hearing about the revisions to the EMS Act. Still, it seems kind of strange to be training EMTs to a certification level that does not yet exist (officially).

Thanks for the link.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.