Is this smart?

dahlio

Hi, I'm looking for some feedback (Obviously, since I'm on a forum). I'm starting my EMT-B training here in New Jersey in January. I was wondering if you think it was dumb for me to already be studying some of the book. I borrowed an EMT-B book from a friend, and started writing note cards. Here in New Jersey, the state exam is actually the National Registry exam, and this book covers it. So even if it's not the same book as the one I'll get in January, it should still be giving me information about the National Registry. Just wondering if anyone thought this could hurt in any way? Or for any reason was dumb? I'm specifically focusing on the Ant./Phys. parts since theres a lot of those.

Thanks..

-dahlio

...I was wondering if you think it was dumb for me to already be studying some of the book. I borrowed an EMT-B book from a friend, and started writing note cards. I'm specifically focusing on the Ant./Phys....

Dahlio-

Why would you think this is dumb, especially if you are focusing on A & P? Go for it. But why not purchase the text you will be using for your training? My $0.02 to you, study to learn the information, not to pass the test.

Good luck :lol:

lol Asysin, saw your post after I posted....

Get the book you will be using in class. Don't waste time with a study guide until you understand the concepts they are presenting.

Good luck to you.

Which book you use is not likely to affect your performance on the NR exam. It's not even likely to [negatively] affect your performance in class. The fact that you have studied at all puts you way ahead of your peers, so there is no way that can be a bad thing. If it turns out the book you are currently studying isn't as in depth as the one your class uses, no problem. You'll pick it up in class and through studying then. If it's better than the book you use in class, well then that's a good thing, right?

I applaud your foresight, not only in pre-studying, but in astutely choosing the correct topic to study! :thumbright:

I think it is a very good idea for you to already be studying for your EMT class. You will probably have a jumpstart on all the other students taking to class. I wish that I would have had a good EMT book to read before I took the EMT class. Good luck with the class and the National Registry!

I did alot of pre-studying before starting emt classes, including take several medical science classes like biology, a and p, medical terminology etc. Good for you for being proactive. Keep it up, the results will be worth it and you will pass the NREMT with flying colors and be confidant in your knowledge and education.

By the way, the Basic NREMT is not that difficult. It echos almost word for word the information contained in Brady's most recent edition of Pre-Hospital Emergency Medicine. You will see as you move along that they NREMT is put together in chunks and pretty much in the order that you will cover things in class: medical legal, roles of the EMT, a and p, ob/gyn, EMT pharmacology, trauma emergencies, medical emergencies. I know I have these out of order but if you look at the Brady text, you will get a really good idea of what will be on the NREMT. Furthermore if you contact the NREMT, they will tell you the number of questions on each topic contained in the exam or at least the percentage of the questions that each topic makes up. Its also nice when you get your letter stating that you passed (cause you are a smart prestudier and will pass) you get a break down of what percentage of each topics questions you got right. For me, after passing the exam, this was a good way to be able to go back and know what i needed to review before the first time I went on a call on the job as opposed to being in school. Theres also a EMT-Basics pocket guide out there which is a great little thing to use to review and which you can keep in your pocket when you do your clinicals.

Best of luck, and study hard.

It must be the morning coffee I had, but for some reason I feel the need to reply to everything today.

It can't hurt to study, study, study. Learn as much as you can during your EMT-Basic. Go above and beyond what your teacher teaches you. You need to remember, the EMT-Basic is the VERY foundation upon which the rest of your career will rest upon. So make that foundation as strong as you possibly can while you still can. I applaud your effort, and keep up the good work!

thanks again for all the responses. I've been reading the 10th? version of brady's, and I think they came out with a newer one, but was talking to someone at the first aid squad, and they said there was minimal diff. Really Anxious to start, thanks again.