National Statistics

Capman

Hello all,

I’m seeking a bit of assistance from anyone who may have sources to, or knowledge pertaining to the location of US National wage statistics pertaining to EMS. In my travels, I have seen them in magazines similar to JEMS and such. Now when I need them most, I can not seem to find any.

I have recently taken over the shop stewards position for a large hospital based ambulance service in Northern Maine. Our current contract expires in July and I need to begin my homework for negotiations now. Part of my negotiation strategy is to prove that we (Northern Main collectively) are among the lowest paid EMT’s and Paramedics in the nation.

Just how underpaid are we?

EMT-B: $7.04 base wage

EMT-I: $7.38 base wage

EMT-P: $9.63 base wage

Our employer claims that they offer a competitive salary, and I can not argue that when I compare them with the other local services. However, I believe that they need some enlightenment when it comes to the fact that they are comparing themselves to services that are severely underpaid as well. Can you see the vicious cycle; or should I ask if it seems all too familiar to you.

I figure if I throw some national statistics at them, it can’t hurt us anymore than we are already hurting. Two percent a year just isn’t cutting it anymore.

Thanks for any sources or input you can offer, and I can keep all posted of any landmark developments.

BTW, Search yielded no results.

Matt B. EMT-P

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going to compare apples to oranges, you had best be prepared for the employer to utilise the same dishonest tactic.

Consequently, you need to arm yourself with not only EMS wage stats, but cost of living stats for the areas you are comparing to. You can bet they will. And you'll look stupid if you aren't prepared to counter that.

You might also explore other statistics, like the difference in educational standards between your area and others. As well, you should break down those wages by type of service. In other words, just know that they are going to call you a fraud if you try and sell them municipal firefighter-paramedic wages for a straight EMS, private service EMT. Credibility is a terrible thing to waste. Especially on your first trip to the table.

Have all your ducks in a row. Don't go off half cocked. And all other applicable metaphors.

Good luck!

"If you're going to compare apples to oranges, you had best be prepared for the employer to utilise the same dishonest tactic."

Good advice Dust, but I don't agree with you when you say the tactic is dishonest. I am fully prepared to paint the whole picture. Education, cost of living, job classifications, location, etc. will all be factors when compiling my report. You say apples to oranges? I say no way, even it were an apple to apple comparison; we are still underpaid.

But just to humor you a bit....

Let's say Paramedics are apples....

and nurses are apples as well because....

In my area it takes an associates degree to be an RN or a Paramedic. I believe there are actually 30 more clinical hours to become a paramedic.

However, that's pretty much an "apple" to "apple" comparison. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Why does one "apple" get $9.63 an hour as a base wage, and the other "apple" get $18.00 an hour as a base wage?

That's my point.

But I appreciate the advise. I plan on doing my homework and collecting multiple sources to back up all of my claims.

Trust me that nothing is dishonest when I am telling the truth.

In my area it takes an associates degree to be an RN or a Paramedic. I believe there are actually 30 more clinical hours to become a paramedic.

However, that's pretty much an "apple" to "apple" comparison. (correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm afraid you are wrong. They are two different jobs. The fact that they both have an associates degree is irrelevant. That is no more valid than comparing what a paramedic makes to the average person with an Associates in Art History.

Why does one "apple" get $9.63 an hour as a base wage, and the other "apple" get $18.00 an hour as a base wage?

The businessmen you will be negotiating with will know the answer to this question from day 1 of business school. Supply and demand. If you don't fully understand the concept of supply and demand, you will be on uneven footing in your negotiations, because that, my friend, is the very foundation of their business.

Trust me that nothing is dishonest when I am telling the truth.

Just remember that these businessmen also understand that there are three types of lies.

There are lies. There are damned lies. And there are statistics.

"I'm afraid you are wrong. They are two different jobs. The fact that they both have an associates degree is irrelevant. That is no more valid than comparing what a paramedic makes to the average person with an Associates in Art History."

True, you do have a point. However, it may be important to add that I do not expect to make what a nurse makes. I do intend to point out that an associates degree should at least put us above what the average employee without a college education makes. That's the comparison I'm looking for. For example, a local telemarketer in my area makes $9.20 an hour after a 3 day orientation. The guy putting tires on my car at the local VIP makes $9.80. The CNA's at the same hospital I work for (who have a 3 month class) make $9.88 with shift differential for hours no different than medics hours. None of them are required to carry the responsibility of a medic. That's not a statistic, that's a fact!!! If you will, I would like you to point out the flaws in a statement such as this. It is just the sort of enlightenment I need to prepare me for what's ahead. However, I don't see how there could be much rationale for paying us as if we were pumping gas or something of the like.

As far as supply and demand....

In your honest opinion, do you feel that $9.63 an hour will draw new medics into the market?

You say supply and demand...

I say wait 5 years and you'll see where the demand is.

Just a quick question...

Are you an employer or just someone who has fought this battle before?

Matt B.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.