Phenergan....good or bad?

bassnmedic

Puking though inconvenient can actually be a good thing though and you need to watch when giving a drug to retard it as it is the body trying to rid itself of something.

When would vomiting be more appropriate than an NG/OG tube? Actually, we've gone away from the idea of having out patients vomit, thus we no longer carry ipecac on the trucks. Vomiting is actually bad for the body and poses quite a few risks. The acids in your stomach cause burns on the way back up. Aspiration is always a concern with a vomiting patient.

This doesn't mean that if you vomit, you're going to die. But vomiting is rarely, if ever a favorable means of "treatment" for a condition.

Shane

NREMT-P

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

promethazine.... I love it! I don't know what we would do without it, it works great for anti-nausea, and makes the patients nice and sleepy for a quiet ride to the hospital.... promethazine is one of our most used drugs. We're addicted to giving it to our patients! LOL... Seriously... we've never had any problems, or adverse reactions to it, we don't have to call for medical control for it... we can give 25 per our protocols...

• 2 weeks later...

Serotonin, 5HT3, Muscarin, Dopamin. You never know witch receptor to block. Metoklopramid doesn´t work. Zofran is expensive and only goes on 5HT3 receptors. The best antiemeticum in my opinion is Dixyrazine, Droperidol or Promethazine. If the treatment has no succsess you can add Zofran and Glycopyrrolate (or Betametazon or Dexametazon).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?D...Pubmed_RVDocSum

Ketobemidon is an better alternative than Morphin when it comes to nausua and womiting after administration (in my opinion).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.