I forgot!!!

ERDoc

I've got to go with Anthony on this one. It's either cumulative injury from being a soccer player (which I have seen in MANY of my young male soccer playing fiends... er... friends...) OR it's Lyme disease.

Acute symptoms may resolve quite quickly, while the disease still progresses; a variety of neurological symptoms can be observed, including short term memory loss. These symptoms can be seen in isolation or in conjunction with other symptoms as chronic Lyme disease progresses. Also, by this point the rash from the initial tick bite should have faded, and the bull's eye pattern is not necessarily as common as a uniformly red rash (google, wikipedia and one of my old textbooks are my sources). These later symptoms can show up months after the initial exposure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease

So... since the camping trip was mentioned a couple of times and we don't appear to have any STD's or cumulative soccer injury or nutritional deficiency, etc this makes the most sense.

Do we (and by we I mean Anthony) win? Is it something completely different?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I should give it up. This kid was suffering from a migraine variant, similar to a confusional migraine. He had an MRI and EEG which were both normal. He was dc'd from the ER and when he woke up the next morning was perfectly fine, except not being able to remember the events during the migraine, including the 4 hours he spent in the ER. Not all migraines present with the typical symptoms. There are several unusual versions including abdominal migraines and cyclic vomiting. Emedicine has a good article on the different kinds of migraines if I remember correctly. It was definitely an interesting case to see.

Hey, now. There's no reason to insult the man. :lol:

'zilla

:D

But I've got much respect for the IM guys. They are some of the brightest people. Where else can you perseverate for 2 hours over whether a pt should be on an 1800 or 2000 cal diet?

I know this is a late entry here, but I thought this sounded familiar. How about Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome? Etiology an inherited trait of susceptibility to thiamine deficiency, especially with a high carb diet. Even if the deficiency normalizes, the memory impairment of Korsakoffs may persist.

well Becks I was thinking about a defiency problem too....but guess we were both WRONG....but I wont tell anyone if you dont.....we do have an image to protect.....RIGHT........good one though doc give us another one.....I love these.....although I suck at writing them I do love participating in them ......so doc when is the next one gonna come :?: :?: :?: