USe of emergency lights at a scene

Guest CHP medic

Less lights for our rigs would be nice. It does make sense to shut down more lights at a scene. My only problem is that the only way I can Identify a cop car from a far enough distance to slow down is by the light bar. I have a lead foot and when I am in my POV I speed. I speed to a ridiculous level. I never speed in residential or business districts, but on an expressway, I fly. Has it bit me in the ass? Yes, it has. $200 and a late fee latter I decided I should slow down some. However, I still speed. The lightbars are the only thing that keep me from being caught more often.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i always leave it on until i get to the hospital. why not ? its not such a big deal here. if your going to be distracted by a few lights and crash into it then you need to have your licence revoked and taken off the road cause im the one thats gonna be scrapin your butt off the road.

Uhhh... and I suppose I shouldn't wear kevlar because anybody who would shoot at a nurse shouldn't have an AK-47 in the first place, right? :?

As I write this, it is the first anniversary of 2 Jersey City, New Jersey, police officers accidently driving off a bridge into the river. Ironically, they had been posting flares because the bridge warning lights were not functioning, and while doing so, the bridge was opened for a boat, and nobody told the cops. They found the second body almost a week later.

Can anyone find an article I seem to remember, that strobe lights, no matter what the color, seemed to almost draw vehicles driven by impaired drivers into the rears of the vehicles displaying those strobe lights?

i always leave it on until i get to the hospital. why not ? its not such a big deal here. if your going to be distracted by a few lights and crash into it then you need to have your licence revoked and taken off the road cause im the one thats gonna be scrapin your butt off the road.

So you mean to tell me that you are going to leave the lights and sirens on when taking a drunk to the hospital? Or a stubbed toe? Or the sniffles?

Not too smart.

So you mean to tell me that you are going to leave the lights and sirens on when taking a drunk to the hospital? Or a stubbed toe? Or the sniffles?

Not too smart.

I don't think s/he meant that and I don't think people took it that way. It's emplied that it's for times you're on an emergency run that they go lights all the way to the hospital...if there was doubt, you should ask not confront right away. Why I care? B/c the poster will statistically reply to the easily answered question and not to the comment I made in my previous post.

Why I care? B/c the poster will statistically reply to the easily answered question and not to the comment I made in my previous post.

So it's all about you?

8)

My policy when I roll up to a scene with other ems I turn on my rear ambers and the front in grill lights and the directional arrows. If it is just our rig on a side street or other street with little to no traffic I may turn just the directional arrows and thats it. On a main thuroghfare by myself(almost neever happens) I'll leave the lights on but I try to keep it to a minumum. When my partner drives he hops off the rig and leaves everything else on, and he sometimes forgets to turn off the sirens and I have o run back to the rig and do wasting time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.