Seatbelt safety question

Michael

I wear a seatbelt when I drive and urge any adult passengers I drive to do the same, because I believe that wearing a seatbelt is safer than not wearing a seatbelt (minors in my car don't get to choose). Some drivers I know choose not to wear a seatbelt, despite my entreaties. My question: Does an unsecured driver pose a greater threat to his or her passengers than a secured driver? I imagine an unsecured driver more easily displaced than a secured driver from the ability to control the car, namely by being thrust away from the steering wheel and brake pedal, and less able to retrieve control once it's lost. So are passengers, as well as the driver, at greater risk from free-range motorists playing chicken?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Australia wearing a seatbelt is law! You get a fine if you’re caught without one on, if there vehicle is moving. Of course it will make a difference if you’re not wearing one. Situations such as going through the windscreen, ending up in the backseat and cracking head with your passenger come to mind.

Is it not law that you must wear a seatbelt in the US?

All I can really say is that of the MVC's I've been on, seatbelts seem to be the common factor in anyone walking away.Like you, I imagine that a restrained driver would have a better chance of remaining in a position to still manuever the vehicle. Interesting... I will probably take notice now of MVC outcomes for passengers when the driver is seatbelted. I wonder if there have ever been any studies addressing this specifically?

well.. think of it this way. Lets say the driver were to have his/her seatbelt on and a passenger did'nt. Depending on the angle and speed of the collision, the seatbelt may have saved the driver from being propelled out of the vehicle, but at the same time the unrestrained passenger may fly forward and have his head go straight into the restrained driver and cause some massive head trauma. So what do we end up with? Two pancakes instead of one. There are some pretty crazy UK seatbelt commercials that show this very thing...

I have several clips of my own that I use when teaching I can not upload them now due to technical difficulties, however an unrestrained passenger absolutely poses a greater risk to himself and to his fellow passengers.

I have an excellent video of crash dummies in a rollover. The restrained driver stays in place and probably would live, however the unrestrained passenger is all over the place including striking the driver several times with enough force to cause signifcant injury to the driver before being ejected himself.

As a driver of any vehicle, I do not move until everyone is buckled. The only choice provideed/allowed is buckle or or find another ride. This is not for THEIR safety, it is for MINE and the passengers that have no problem buckling.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.