Anyone know anything about bear spray???

Neesie

We had a pt that was sprayed with bear spray. Apparently it keeps bears away. Anyway he was screaming in pain because it was all over his face and in his eyes. We rain salin into his eyes which seemed to help a bit but when he was at the hospital, they threw him in the shower. He said the water was way too hot but really it was quite cold. He said it burned when he was in the shower. Sooo it must react to water. Just interested if anyone one knows anything about it or how to treat it.

I have been sprayed (by choice) with police issue pepper spray and treated pt.s as well and the best thing is continuous irrigation. The burning will stop with time,however initially the re wetting makes it feel like it's worse, but again continuous irrigation and time. Some times an Ice pack held to the eyes feels good too.

WOW small world, I too had a Pt that was sprayed directly into the face no more than 1 foot away this past weekend. Bear spray is the same product as Pepper spray (OC spray) that the police carry, its just a bit stronger. When we arrived on scene the Pt was supine on the ground flushing his face with a hose yelling for help. His face, eyes, chest and neck where red and flushed. Funny part was he wanted us to put him to sleep. Only treatment we can give is to continue to flush his eyes with saline or the hose. He too complained about burning down his neck and chest as we flushed his eyes it the truck.

The reason why the Pt was saying it was burning while in the shower is do to the fact that bear spray as well as pepper spray are an oil-based product. Oil and water do not mix so as the water runs down the Pt, it is carrying the chemicals still causing more burning. The best way to rid the chemical is to wash with baby shampoo. There is a product out there that is made just for decon of pepper spray and works well.

During training I have been gassed (CS CN) OC'd and TAZERED and I gota tell ya they all suck....

During the decon from gas and OC i have experienced a brain freeze similar to the jugging a 7-11 Slurpee....the combination of the perceived heat and inflammation generated and the cold decon water hurt initially....similar to cold water immersion....good times...

WOW small world, I too had a Pt that was sprayed directly into the face no more than 1 foot away this past weekend. Bear spray is the same product as Pepper spray (OC spray) that the police carry, its just a bit stronger. When we arrived on scene the Pt was supine on the ground flushing his face with a hose yelling for help.

Wimp.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.