Perfect EMS

Timmy

Where did you ever get that idea in the first place? It is wrong.

Please take into account that Australian EMS is way different to what your EMS is like.

Our Ambulance services are fully supported and funded by the government, we don’t have any private services. So, as I said I'm sorry, I don't know much about American EMS.

Talk about your under-funding! Sounds like a nightmare right there.

It works quiet well. I live in a rural area, the medics only get about 3 call outs a day.

So for a low work load area if works perfectly.

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but you're not in EMS, are you? If not, when and where you park your ambulances would't really be relevant to this comparison.

No mate I'm not EMS. I'm first aid, but from what I've heard your EMT-B is our first aid, give and take a few skills and training.

No mate I'm not EMS. I'm first aid, but from what I've heard your EMT-B is our first aid, give and take a few skills and training.

Under the emergency management plan the service I volunteer with backs up the paramedics when they need a hand at big emergency’s, (bushfires, big MVAs, storms, HazMat ect)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For example, it seems that you are big on trauma with your motocross stuff... are you aware that most EMS calls are medical?

Oh yeh I'm aware of that... But we still see a lot of medical emergencies as well.

It's heading into summer now so we do event coverage at a lot of high crowd events.

We see a lot of cardiac, respiratory, diabetic, seizures, asthma, arrests, heat related, dehydration, alcohol related, excuses me my water just broke, I forgot my medication at home and all that stuff.

I love motocross so I talk about it a lot. Trauma and Medical pretty much even out over the year for us.

I know standby isn’t the same as running the truck to call outs.

It works quiet well. I live in a rural area, the medics only get about 3 call outs a day.

So for a low work load area if works perfectly.

If you are able to easily comprehend that, then why would it be so hard for you to fathom being stationed at a hotel room or apartment?

And if you are keeping ambulances at private homes of medics, why would you be questioning the funding of a US service?

Again, I don't get where you are coming from on any of this.

Niftymedi911, let it go. You need to stick around and catch up on what has already been discussed here before you go flying off the handle half-cocked. Nobody is bashing anybody. People are merely making factual statements about the inadequacy of EMT-B training in your country. If you are not personally undertrained, undereducated, or otherwise incompetent, then it obviously doesn't apply to you, so don't bother responding. It only makes you look guilty.

And "BLS BEFORE ALS BABY!" is just one of those stupid rookie sayings that EMT's use to feel better about themselves. It's something your instructor told you to make you believe you actually got something of value out of your thousand-dollar, 120 hour first aid course. It's a joke, and we all roll our eyes at those who parrot it as if it were something profound.

What?? You payed $1000 to do a first aid course… That’s a little OTT.

You're telling me! Yet those classes stay completely full. Go figure! :D

Just one question. Are EMT-B supervised by an ASL paramedic on all calls?

That is a systemic variable. In some systems, EMT-B is all they have. In other systems (the better systems), they would never even consider hiring an EMT-B for anything more than stocking trucks. In some systems that have both EMT-Bs and paramedics, all EMTs are partnered with a medic. But in some mixed systems, they are assigned separately, so that two EMTs work together without a medic. You just never know. It all depends on the system. If I had to make a statistical generalisation, based upon average urban system policies in the U.S., I would say yes, EMT's are usually supervised (or directly partnered with) an ALS paramedic. But don't count on it everywhere.

Dust-

IL requires at least a bachelors degree for police officers before they can enter the State Academy. This is largley do to the efforts of folks like my father who recently retired after 36 years as a Sheriffs Deputy. He spent the last almost 10 years of that career working with other departments around the nation to develop a national set of accreditation standards and worked for the first department to be so accredited. He helped to develop an organization called CALEA (the Council for Accreditation of Law Enforcement Agencies) and travelled all over the country helping to implement these standards. I think something like this would be a magnificent stride in EMS.

Im still alarmed, though no longer angered, by your bashing (for lack of a better word) of Basics. When I first saw you start saying things in this regard, I thought you might just be a bit of a a curmudgeon, now its seems that its more of an elitist snobbery. Basics save and assist in the saving of lives everyday all over the country and you still seem to think that all we are good for is stocking the truck and driving. I recently spoke with a CCP and flight medic who told me that he would rather work with a good basic than a half-a** Paramedic anyday, and, he added, that the world if full of half-a** paramedics. It seems to me that you want respect for EMS as a profession but are not willing to give anyone but paramedics the deserved respect. And yes, respect has to be earned

IL requires at least a bachelors degree for police officers before they can enter the State Academy.

Can you clarify, does that mean to be a state cop, or for ANY new cop hired for any agency in the state?

He helped to develop an organization called CALEA (the Council for Accreditation of Law Enforcement Agencies) and travelled all over the country helping to implement these standards. I think something like this would be a magnificent stride in EMS.

Good for him! And I believe you are absolutely right. That is exactly what we need. It is certainly not an original idea. Hell, it is what the NREMT set out to be, but they faltered along the way. And, of course, there are multiple entities, such as the NAEMT and others, that are pushing for the advancement of the profession, but I don't believe anybody is seriously taking the kind of approach you are talking about. Sure, there is the accrediting agency for ambulance services, but that seems less focused on medical professionalism than businesses practises. I know your dad had a very hard row to hoe when he set out to establish CALEA, and it would be even tougher for such an agency in EMS since services are provided by such a broad range of providers. But yeah, eventually, it has to be done. Just like CALEA, accreditation would not be mandatory. However, once established, it would certainly put all providers on the spot when they are asked why they are not accredited. How would you like to be the one to have to explain that to the media or city council?

Im still alarmed, though no longer angered, by your bashing (for lack of a better word) of Basics.

Well then, you still have a LOT to learn! But you show promise, so I am confident that you will someday come around. :wink:

Dust-

I said Bachelors degree and should have said Associates with Bachelors preferred and to the best of my knowledge, it is all agencies in the State. I do know that all officers are required to complete the State Police academy before they are eligible to be hired by any agency. Sorry for the confusion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.