decibels inside the ambulance

zzyzx

Does anyone know the typical noise level (decibels) in the crew cab of an ambulance (van type) when the sirens are on? I'm wondering because it seems awfully loud. What are the OSHA standards? I work for a private and we are not issued any noise protection.

I find it varies ambulance to ambulance. It's always funny to see people covering their ears when we scream by, I guess they have the right idea though.

Does your jurisdiction's law enforcement enforce noise ordinances? Police officers in those that do often carry decible meters, you could borrow one and a do a rough study.

If you were given ear plugs to wear (by OSHA standards), would you wear them? How about a headset?

I wear an active noise reduction headset in the ambulance. It provides 30dB of active cancellation and 22dB of passive cancellation. I'm sure you could wear something of the same nature, but then you wouldn't hear someone honking at you if you're about to run them over... It's a tradeoff. I think the best idea is to just not use the siren.

I thought those active noise reduction headsets reduced constant, regular noise like engine noise or siren noise. So, at least in theory, you would still hear your partner talking or the horn of the oncoming car.

I tried on a pair of the Bose headsets but only once. And I didn't have the opportunity for a long drawn out test. But when I had them on they were really nice. I'd like to get a set of the ANR for my helmet at work. Just a tad pricey.

-be safe.

Do you wear these in the air acosell or on the road?

I've never seen or heard of anyone wearing something like that in a land vehicle, and honestly, the siren (atleast to me) isn't all that loud in the newer vehicles. Engineers are cluing in when designing the vehicles, which is why a lot of the siren speaker housings are in the grill of the front of the vehicle as opposed to being on top built into the light bar like they were in the older ambulances. The downfall is that sound will reverberate off vehicles in front of you instead of going over it (making it harder for you to be heard) but less noise for your ears.

Just a sidebar note.... according to OSHA pregnant females, are not to be exposed to loud and high decibels and frequency.. sorry, cannot recall the exact decibels. So those in EMS, that are pregnant and still working in the field are not really supposed to be exposed to such loud noise.

I agree, this is one area we are very poor in preventing. I know I have lost much of the years of exposed siren and being in helo's..

R/r 911

2 of our brand new unit's have the on board intercom .i don't know what the exact name is .but when you have it on i drowns out the siren allot .but you can still hear your partner when he speaks and hear horn's and such and to speak to dispatch you hit a button on the side. the set up is simular to the one's on the fire truck..

I started this thread because I was wondering if the noise inside the cab might be loud enough to cause hearing loss over time. My company does not issue any hearing protection, and I'm wondering if they are violating any OSHA standards.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.