AED?????

therring

Hi, Don't worry about your age! I got into this game aged 43 and life experience really helps when dealing with patients. Here in UK we have slightly different protocols as regards joule settings etc. However, one thing AEDs all have in common is that they will tell you whether or not to shock. Over here, our machines usually have a lead 2 trace display which you may be questioned about. In UK we shock VF and also pulseless VT but the AEDs will only recognise VF as a shockable rhythm. If I may be permitted to offer some advice;- Our students earn massive brownie points when they look at the display and confirm VF/VT verbally to the examiner before hitting the button and one of our examiners favourite tricks is to throw a VT rhythm at you and then asking you what you are going to do about it! The answer, of course, is Basic Life Support (BLS)ie: Vents & compressions- over here it's now 30 comps:2 vents. If I'm teaching granny to suck eggs, I apologise wholeheartedly, but I cannot emphasise enough the importance of ECG recognition and interpretation. Take care and good luck with your endeavours. xx