Paramedic Students working part time for 911 services

Dmurphy73

OK.. finally i have a question. I am a new EMT-B (as of July 06) who is currently enrolled in one of the top EMSP programs in the nation in Texas in my first semester of a total of five. I took my EMT-B at the college and as soon as i got my blue patch i was hired part time to work two local 911 services.

One service is typically staffed by paramedics, and use basics as relief, the other typically staffs a medic and an EMT-B. One is rural, about 30 minutes to the nearest hospital averaging about 1 - 5 calls a 24 shift. The other is in a medium sized city that has a great hospital very close at hand.

The problem that I'm having is that i feel like a putz. Both services know I'm a student, as well as that I'm a recently badged EMT, and i feel blessed because its like I'm on a clinical, but I'm getting paid.

The only thing that gets me is i haven't quite gotten down my history taking and general assessment stuff. I can take a BP (though I'm learning not to palpate on a truck), take vitals, and all that, but i always feel like I'm missing something and not quite "helping". Most times the medics assume the call and i assist with equipment and such, with them typically asking me what i think. I

guess my real question is should i have waited till i graduated the program to pursue employment in a 911 service, should i have gone to work for a transport service instead, or should i not work at all and just focus on my clinical and schooling. As i stated earlier, i am blessed to actually see conditions first hand, instead of looking at slides, or reading about it, however am i a burden to these medics? Any input is appreciated

Both. seriously. The service that is predominately slow, take advantage of down time and study. Watch on calls how performance is given .. both good and bad. Making mental notes on how you can apply what you have just read and how you would handle the situation... both positive or negative, making mental notes.

Ask questions about care after the call, letting them know that you are not so much questioning their abilities but questioning on the general assessment and care. It appears they want to teach you as well, by asking you questions as well, that is good.

Give yourself some time, becoming a good medic does not happen over night, and not all experiences are good ones. This is what builds up life learning experiences. Observe, be active on what your level can perform, talk to the medics, listen and watch their performance on H & P. Note how they "focus" on specific areas, and eliminate other non-pertinent areas.

You will do fine, if you study hard, pay attention, and practice...

Good luck,

R/r 911

Its going to be extra tough for you, as someone with no field experience trying to become a medic already. Not only will the job be harder for you, as you dont really know what to do and what to expect, but you will be given a hard time by your coworkers as well. Its fairly common knowledge that you must be a good EMT before you can become a good medic- that takes time in the field, face time with patients, and an understanding of the job that can only be found through experience. The medic program I'm in right now doesnt even accept people that have less than a year of experience as an EMT. Even that, I think, may be a little too lax. There is a LOT to learn as an EMT besides the academic stuff-- dont sell that short

I'm not saying its impossible for you to take what you have now and do well with it. I'm just saying that its going to be much, much harder for you.

That said, this experience that you have is absolutely VITAL to how well you are going to do this job. Take every second you have in the rig and try to learn as much as possible with it. Practical experience on the job is probably the single most important factor of your education. You need more, not less. Stick with it.

Fiznat, I ask you, if one can't get experience without working, but can't work until they get experience, what is a new EMSer supposed to do besides work at Waffle House? Honestly.

Okay, so you've jumped in head first and you feel a little overwhelmed. That's called starting a new career, but we only really learn how to swim once we are in over our heads. Patient history and physical exam are a lot more challenging at the EMT level, because at the medic level you know what you are looking for. If you have to rely on a little note card, do so, no one is going to fault you for it. I say if your coworkers are tolerating you, then congratulations, you have a really excellent environment to learn in. It sure as hell ain't working the transport bus or pal-ing around at the vollie squad where unfortunately most members of the EMS profession start off, so consider yourself lucky.

That's EMS for you. I felt lost my first few months too, but then again I felt lost when I moved from a 911 service to fixed wing critical care transport too. It's just a new job and it will take you awhile to learn the ropes. Hopefully you have good medics who you can learn as much as possible from. They can be a great support for you while you're in school, take advantage of it.

Noah

Tennessee used to have a requirement that you had to work a year as an EMT-IV (one year of employment, not just one year of being licensed) before you could start medic school. They no longer have this requirement, but I think that it was eliminated too soon. These people who go straight from EMT to Medic sometimes lose sight of the fact that sometimes their EMT-IV (or depending on what state you are in EMT-B or I) skills are what is needed. They become (I hope I don't get murdered for using this term) paragods, the medics who know all there is to know about patient care and have nothing more to learn ever.

Case in Point: I once ran a call with a "just graduated" Medic who had not been on a truck before other than clinicals. It was a two motorcyle MVC (they were drunk and deciding to reinvent jousting), neither one was wearing a helmet, and one had airway compromise. The medic that I was with that day was having severe difficulty in getting an ET tube down the patient, so I suggested a combitube. I was told this in reply: "I am a Medic and I will NOT use a combitube. You WILL NOT attempt to put this patient on one.I am going to intubate this patient or else we are just going to have to bag him till we get to the hospital." Luckily, the supervisor was working the other patient until another unit could get there and came over to us (the other patient wasn't hurt to bad other than some lacerations and a broken leg) and put my medic on his patient. He (the supervisor) then dropped the combitube. My medic had to go in front of a review board and ended up having to demonstrate, to the board, his knowledge of the EMT-IV skill level. He failed and was fired.

Point of the story: Get some time on a truck as a basic (or in my case, as an IV) before you take a medic course. If not before, then during your medic course. You will only further your education and knowledge. And to boot, if you're already working for a service, then you already have a job post-medic course.

• 1 month later...

Look, if you are dumbass medic who can't manage an airway, it won't matter how much time you spend on a BLS truck, you'll still be stupid. The medic in question didn't have a lack of BLS skills, he was either being arrogant and unwilling to admit defeat when it came to intubation, or he had not been properly trained on correct airway management and use of airway devices. doing BLS wouldn't have helped any.

Cliche score:

Paragod: +5

New medic screwing up on a trauma: +5