Canadian challenging the NREMT-B test

canadianPCP

Anyone have any information...has it been done before.

Yes.

I'm not getting a straight answer from NREMT.

That's because it is generally considered a state issue, not an NREMT issue. Unless you are military, you have to be sponsored by a particular state to take the NR exam. If NY endorses you as being "equivalent," then you can test. If not, you can't. NY state EMS is pretty screwed up, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Need it to complete EMT-P at local hosp. once I move to Northern New Jersey, Rockland County, NY area????

Why on earth would you want to do that? :?

Anyone have any information...has it been done before. I'm not getting a straight answer from NREMT. Need it to complete EMT-P at local hosp. once I move to Northern New Jersey, Rockland County, NY area????

It depends where you want to work. The NREMT is only a service that standardizes tests throughout the country, so that states do not have to come up with expensive testing systems, they just use the NREMT that has been doing a lot of it for a long time. The NREMT has no official status in states, only for standardized tests. The ultimate power comes from whether the state will give you credentials or not. Once you get your Paramedic training done, if you are in NJ (AND your training was in NJ), you will take the National Registry test, you will then be issued a NREMT-P card, and a MICP card from the state.

NY on the other hand does NOT use NREMT and will issue their own test. So it pretty much comes down to this. Every state is different, they all don't use the NREMT. Some use it as their testing source, others don't but most do. When you apply to take a Paramedic exam in any particular state they will say whether you need to take the NREMT test or not. Hope that clears it up.

Why not just save all the typing and say...

PCP:

You're best bet it to contact the state office of EMS (OEMS) for the state in which you're interested in working. They will be the ultimate authority in telling you what you will or won't need for certification/licensure in their state.

Links to each state's OEMS website can be found by looking at the NREMT website.

Good luck to you. But I have to agree with Dust and say, why NJ? Of all the places you could go....why NJ? Trust me, the novelty of glowing in the dark as a result of the proximity to all the hazardous waste dumps gets old pretty quickly.

-be safe.

Why not just save all the typing and say...

PCP:

You're best bet it to contact the state office of EMS (OEMS) for the state in which you're interested in working. They will be the ultimate authority in telling you what you will or won't need for certification/licensure in their state.

Links to each state's OEMS website can be found by looking at the NREMT website.

Good luck to you. But I have to agree with Dust and say, why NJ? Of all the places you could go....why NJ? Trust me, the novelty of glowing in the dark as a result of the proximity to all the hazardous waste dumps gets old pretty quickly.

-be safe.

Because I wanted to explain it a little better so she understands the system more in depth to answer any questiosn that might come up, whats wrong with that? hmm?? Many people around here get confused with NREMT and testing, just wanted to clarify it better for her, rather than GO HERE.

Yes, I do have to admit that even if you do find the NREMT website, finding the info you want there is an exercise in futility. Their website sucks. It is horribly arranged. Last I looked, they didn't even have their own mailing address or phone number anywhere on the site. That should tell you just how anxious they are to answer your questions. :roll:

Because I wanted to explain it a little better so she understands the system more in depth to answer any questiosn that might come up, whats wrong with that? hmm?? Many people around here get confused with NREMT and testing, just wanted to clarify it better for her, rather than GO HERE.

So next time, be a little more efficient in your use of words. Why take two paragraphs to describe what can be said in two sentences?

You must write some pretty long charts! :roll:

-be safe.

Last I looked, they didn't even have their own mailing address or phone number anywhere on the site. That should tell you just how anxious they are to answer your questions. :roll:

Very bottom of the page Dust, I had to mail some stuff to them and took me a while to find it. They are not much more help if you call them either.

• 2 weeks later...
Very bottom of the page Dust, I had to mail some stuff to them and took me a while to find it. They are not much more help if you call them either.

All my bitching must have done some good! I talked to an NR rep late last year and complained that they ask people to mail in forms, yet their mailing address was neither on the website, nor on the forms they wanted us to mail in. The guy argued with me until I finally convinced him to go look for himself. :roll:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.