This was kinda scary

James_ffemt

Why would the oral glucose hinder you? It is a basic medication and all that was available to you.

The oral glucose might become a hinderance if the patient is unable to swallow. If you administer an oral medication to a patient who otherwise is unresponsive or unable to swallow you risk causing an obstructed airway. For any hypoglycemic patient who exhibits the signs like what James described, D50 is almost always the best treatment.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy Crap...Both of us just finished EMT-I school and are waiting to test so we call the ER and ask for the Dr. So we can start a line and push some D50. Dr. is asleep!!!???

Tell them to wake him up then! I'm more concerned with this then you telling us that you "drove like crazy." What good is med com if the EMP isn't awake to give the orders?

The oral glucose might become a hinderance if the patient is unable to swallow. If you administer an oral medication to a patient who otherwise is unresponsive or unable to swallow you risk causing an obstructed airway. For any hypoglycemic patient who exhibits the signs like what James described, D50 is almost always the best treatment.

I agree D50 is the better treatment, but since they weren't able to give it, the oral glucose might have been indeed indicated, since it was the only medication they could give.

Yes...It was a figure of speech....We transported rapidly to the hospital...I understand the only medication I was able to give was oral glucose but was afraid of aspiration...With a level of only 27 it was to me a matter of time before he went unresponsive...didn't want to chance it...As far as waking the Dr. up....I won't go there...she's a bi.ch...it would have taken longer to get her up and on the phone than it was worth...we got the gentleman to the hospital and staff started an IV and administered the D50 and the Dr. was still not out of bed....joys of working with some rural er's.

I to agree that we all sometimes read a little to much into these things...I am glad I didn't receive the same response as the last post and yes I was a little hesitant before posting this one.

Any who....thanks for all of the responses...