EKG Book Recommendations?

tattoomama

I'm an EMT-I, and at the moment I cannot go to paramedic school due to $$ issues as well as time...

But I want to continue my education as much as I am able, and I'm looking for a good text about EKG interpretation.

On Amazon, there are a couple that look promising: Dubin's Rapid Interpretation of EKG's, as well as Thaler's The Only Ekg Book You'll Ever Need.

Before I get flamed, I realize this does not take the PLACE of paramedic training and study. However, I don't want to

be totally ignorant when we have a pt hooked up the 12-lead! I know this will not qualify me as any kind of expert on EKGs,

but for my own personal satisfaction in knowing what my medic partner is talking about and being able to spot something

vital...etc etc. Anybody have some good texts or websites to suggest? My EMT-I book actually has a great couple of chapters on

the subject but I want to dig deeper. Thanks! R.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tattoomama, kudos for wanting to continue your education on your own!!!!!!!!! =D>

I agree with Prissy, the Dubin book is one of the easiest to understand. The good Dr. simplifies the process of interpretating EKG rhythms. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I believe the website at the top of the EMTCity home page has the accompanying website to the book. I would recommend looking at it.

+99 for DUBIN! For some crazy reason my medic program decided to go with a different text, but Dubin is definitely the one you want to read.

On a side note, be careful about learning EKGs as an EMT-I. I read Dubin before I started medic school as well, and I think I pissed off a few medics pointing at the monitor with annoying "isnt that a-fib" or "do you see ST elevations there" type comments. No big deal, but just be careful that your medic wont take offense to your excitement about the EKG. Some will, some wont: just be particularly mindful and use good discretion.

Thanks, guys! Yeah, Fiz, I will definately keep that in mind, don't want to piss off any medics. THere are SOME that

I work with who would not care, but there are also many anal ones...

It's really not to show off knowledge but instead to try to UNDERSTAND what's going on with the PT and when we should

be more concerned. Instead of just being in the back, feeling like, "Derr, derr...", you know?

One of the major things we've learned in medic school (I'm just finishing up over these next few months), is to "treat the patient, not the toy."

While your newfound knowledge of EKG interpretation will no doubt help you understand what's going on in the back of the rig, also keep in mind that the paramedic's greatest challenge is to determine the "unstable" patient from the "stable" one. In truth, this determination is most often made based on BLS assessments. Vital signs. Skin color/temperature/circulation. Mental status. A patient could have the most wacky rhythm ever seen on a lifepack 12, but in general, if he is presenting well and stable- a good medic probably wouldnt do much other than IV/O2/Monitor.

Paramedics have a lot of cool toys, no doubt. ...But it is a solid, consistent BLS assessment that truly makes the difference between someone who knows whats going on and someone who doesnt. Learn the EKGs- its fun to know, but keep your BLS sharp. :lol:

So you have already learned everything there is to know on the basic level?

Congratulations! Personally, I am not impressed by a basic who can read EKG's like a pro unless she can also answer each and every basic anatomy and physiology question I throw at them. Can you?

But yeah, if you are bound and determined to skip the important stuff in order to move on to the sexy stuff that you can't use, and will get in medic school anyhow, then Dubin is the only way to go.

I wouldn't worry so much about pissing off medics (who will be embarrassed that you know more about cardiology than they do), as I would worry about pissing off your paramedic instructor, who will think you're a smartass. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.