Emergency response back to Hospital

FireGuard69

Just a pet peeve of mine. If you're willing to participate, be willing to take critisism. It's how we learn. Sure, some people can be a little harsher then others, but ignorance (not knowning better, please don't take that as an insult. Everyone is ignorant of something) is not an excuse. The fact that it is your opinion, you're a volunteer, or your a basic doesn't make what you say immune. Same would go if you were quoting a medical study, as a paid paramedic.

OK i didn't mean to get you upset it's just i have been a member for a couple of weeks now and yea it's true there are some that give stronger criticism then others .i got some pet peeves to but i wont get into that on this thread without high jacking it .but to the case at hand we can not diagnose in the field yea we can assume what is gong on with the pt . someone having abd pains is it gas is it appendicitis or possibly AAA who knows just the doc's not us just my opinion . we can treat for the worse case scenario but diagnose i don't think so

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I put in my .02 I would like to say I have worked both BLS & ALS trucks, I have also worked both city ambulance company and now rural ambulance company. As a EMT-Basic I have to agree that the main problem was miss communication. The person who is in the back with the patient makes the call if the driver runs L & S or not, or if during route to hospital you upgrade or downgrade from L&S or non-emergent.

Communication is important and vital in the field. Yes, if I am driving I like to know what the patients condition is before we leave, I like it when I have a partner who keeps me informed, but at the same time I also know that there is no way this can always happen. When I am getting out of the truck the last thing I do is look at my medic and say, " (name of hospital) & emergency or non?)" I get my reply and the rest falls into place.

Now with that being said, I know a few medics who take everything to the hospitals emergency. Even BLS calls, do I like it nope, but as a Basic working a ALS truck its my job to get them to the ER safely, its the medics job to let me know if the patient needs to get there a littler faster but still safely.

but to the case at hand we can not diagnose in the field yea we can assume what is gong on with the pt . someone having abd pains is it gas is it appendicitis or possibly AAA who knows just the doc's not us just my opinion . we can treat for the worse case scenario but diagnose i don't think so

True, technically we cannot diagnose, yet again when one determines there is no pulse, and start CPR , have we not actually made a diagnosis? So yes, we make clinical impressions, not technically a diagnoses. With that we don't assume anything, we attempt to obtain an pertinent H & P, and make such clinical impression and yes, treat and transport accordingly.

It really, does not have to be a "doc" to make the right decision. I would not trust any level of an EMT that did not know and could not at least interpret the differential between the usual flatus pain and an appy pain, versus a AAA. As well, this definitely does not excuse anyone or give permission to endanger the patient and others while running lights and sirens.

R/r 911

Yup. A good way to put it is if there is a threat to life or limb, then Code 3 (L&S) is justified. Your pts VS were within normal limits. Granted, I won't say he/she was stable, because they can crash at any time, but this patient just doesn't seem to have any life or limb threat going on.

On the other hand, in the ALS world, the paramedic makes the call about emergent or non-emergent status. In a BLS truck though I truly would defer to the one taking responsibility for the patient. Then again I've never worked on a pure BLS truck so that doesn't fall within my area of expertise.

1. 120/80 is not a "stable" blood pressure. Yes, it is a good blood pressure, but stability is a dynamic term. That means that stability is determined by serial measurements. If it stays 120/80 over 30 minutes of evaluation, or if there are no significant orthostatic changes, then that would be called "stable." But, despite what the majority of EMTs in this country seem to think, one good blood pressure does not a "stable" patient make.

2. This nimrod should have told you how he wanted you to drive. If he doesn't, and he disagrees with how you drove, then he has nobody but himself to blame. And what exactly kept him from sticking his head up in the cab and telling you to step it up if he felt it was that important?

3. If I hear another amateur parroting that tired old cop-out "we don't diagnose," my head is going to explode. :?

amateur ...... far from it i have been an EMT for 6 years . that is the problem with some people on this board the medic's that is us emt's are lower life forms

My good sir, if not pursuing additional training and education in the field of EMS (i.e. staying an EMT-:lol:, may I as what you have done to further yourself in this time frame (college degree, etc)?

My good sir, if not pursuing additional training and education in the field of EMS (i.e. staying an EMT-:lol:, may I as what you have done to further yourself in this time frame (college degree, etc)?

OK if i read it correctly you are asking me what i have done to further my carrier . no i have not gone to college to be a medic .i do not want to be a paramedic at this point maybe one day i will change my mind as of now i don't want to be.

and as far as training i train all the time once you become a prehospital provider and we get are (license-certification) the training never stops. all i am saying in the previous comments was that I do not diagnose out in the field .just like i previously stated we can treat for the worse case scenario . i did not mean to get any one upset and i apologize if anyone took it the wrong way i know there are alot of members here that have a ton of experience here . i just don't want to be called an amateur for being an EMT .i love what i do and if that takes me being a EMT for the rest of my carrier so be it . have a great day and be safe.........Chris

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.