Moving to Las Vegas NV- EMS info please!

Lin

Well we are moving to LV and I am trying to get a handle on the EMS scene there. Here's what I have so far & I'd appreciate any additional info so I can make a more informed decision about where to work. Seems there are 2 services both do 911 and split the zones. AMR is one & Medic West is the other. AMR offers more bonus & relocation. Medic West website is mostly under construction so not alot of info about those folks. We will be moving end of Nov. I have already checked the state requirements for reciprocity. Not a big hoop to jump thru so no problem there. If anyone can please offer some info I'd sure appreciate it. Please answer here or drop me a line at my yahoo address. Thank you kindly! Lin

Nice to see that you are looking into things before diving into the mess.

AMR has been in the area longer, and currently handles most of Las Vegas proper, while Medic West handles Henderson and some of North Las Vegas. Regardless, there are ALS first response fire departments that cover the entire valley. AMR is a SSM style service, and I'm not sure if Medic West uses a similar system. Right now, my insider sources tell me, AMR is looking for a new operations chief, and there is very little morale at the service. Medic West has pulled most of the talent from AMR, but I've not worked in Las Vegas in a few years.

AMR also covers the Laughlin area, but you have to earn the post with seniority.

The state of Nevada does not regulate Clark County. You need to talk to the Clark County Health District. They have tests to allow you to practice in the county. They do accept NREMT to allow you to test, but you have to have a sponsoring agency before you will be issued a temporary license. The orientation process goes for roughly 30 shifts, and you have to show competence before you are signed off. Some have real trouble with this, and some don't. The biggest issue is the egos that you run into, and how you manage it.

AMR is currently offering relocation bonuses because they are looking for warm bodies. Medic West hasn't really run into this problem yet because of the talent pool they are drawing from. Medic West has been given the reputation of being the better place to work, but the jury is still out on accuracy.

Thank you for the reply. We knew we would move out to LV in Aug. & now we are 100% sure. I have family there but not in the business to know EMS business. Yes I have been to cchd website and I know in LV ya gotta have a sponsor first then do the state thing. I have the protocols & they seem pretty standard but I will have to decide on one service or the other. Seems like the same ole song & dance where ever you go with respect to services. Oh well thanks again for your reply I am still in the gathering stage & have heard both good/bad about both services. Ultimately it will probably come down to money & benifits as I have been doing this a bit and the medicine is the easy part. It's getting to know the lay of the land who's who who's where what's where and getting around all the self important folks etc etc Again, thanks, Lin

Nice to see that you are looking into things before diving into the mess.

AMR has been in the area longer, and currently handles most of Las Vegas proper, while Medic West handles Henderson and some of North Las Vegas. Regardless, there are ALS first response fire departments that cover the entire valley. AMR is a SSM style service, and I'm not sure if Medic West uses a similar system. Right now, my insider sources tell me, AMR is looking for a new operations chief, and there is very little morale at the service. Medic West has pulled most of the talent from AMR, but I've not worked in Las Vegas in a few years.

AMR covers approximately 60% of the county, the western half and MedicWest covers approximately 40%, the eastern half. MWA covers all of North Las Vegas, as well as Moapa, Overton, Valley of Fire, Searchlight and Indian Springs. Henderson EMS is a completely seperate entity and is run solely by Henderson Fire. In Las Vegas and NLV, we run a dual-response system, meaning to every call fire and EMS is dispatched. AMR and MWA have primary transportation rights, but occassionally Las Vegas Fire ("City") transports. Clark County Fire ("County") and North Las Vegas Fire ("Northtown") to the best of my knowledge have the ability to transport, but generally never do.

Lin,

I would be more than happy to give you more information on the system, the "Nation of Clark County" Health District and on the services here in town. Send me a private message and I will give you more contact info!

Ashley aka "LasVegasEMTI"

I would be more than happy to give you more information on the system, the "Nation of Clark County" Health District and on the services here in town. Send me a private message and I will give you more contact info!

Any chance you can tell me the winning Keno numbers at the Bellagio for weekend after next? :D

Any thoughts you'd have for me at this point would be appreciated, I was for instance not aware that Clark County was a law unto itself, not that this would apply to me really, but maybe in the sponsorship aspect?

Haha don't worry, the "Nation of Clark County" isn't a real entity, as much as they would like to think so! They like to play the Mother-May-I game here, our protocols are quite limited. They also to have their hands in e v e r y t h i n g!! To their credit however, I believe this is necessary to an extent because the system is so big and needs to be managed somehow. I make comments in jest, but in this system I would probably be managing the same way they do. There are only so many ways to guarantee competency across the board, and ulitmately that results in limitations. FYI its Southern Nevada Health District now if you are looking them up.

Anyways, that's great that you are interested in getting into the EMS field. Send me a PM and I will give you my contact info.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.