Moving out of state??

firemedic7

Hi all-

I am brand new to the forum and wanted to jump right in with a question that maybe you all can answer for me. I have googled this without a good answer so here goes...

I went to medic school 15 years ago and have worked in my home state, Ohio, since then.

My wife has had some extensive medical problems and I am not sure that we may not have to relocate someday possibly to another state for further treatment. I know that each state will have different rules for reciprocity but is thaere a chance that I will have go to medic school again or do other states usually accept your diploma and then mandate either registry or challenge their state exam?

This may seem like a dumb question and if it has been posted before, please refer me to it.

Thanks

Stay Safe

Each state is different. Contact the office of EMS for the states to which you may be moving. They can help you from there.

Just what, exactly, did you google? If nothing else, the registry website should've helped you with that.

Good luck. Hope you're wife's health improves.

-be safe.

So long as you are current, there is probably little chance that you would have to go back to school, except maybe in those states that require a degree (if you don't already have one). Probably the worst you will face in most states would be a 1 to 3 month long bureaucracy of giving them more and more paperwork and money until they finally either give you reciprocity, or in some states, simply allow you to take their test.

As Mike says, this is going to be very specific to both the state you are petitioning and your educational background, so you will need to contact those states' EMS office to be certain what will apply to you.

Best of luck!

So long as you are current, there is probably little chance that you would have to go back to school, except maybe in those states that require a degree (if you don't already have one). Probably the worst you will face in most states would be a 1 to 3 month long bureaucracy of giving them more and more paperwork and money until they finally either give you reciprocity, or in some states, simply allow you to take their test.

As Mike says, this is going to be very specific to both the state you are petitioning and your educational background, so you will need to contact those states' EMS office to be certain what will apply to you.

Best of luck!

Thanks All!!

Dustdevil, if you are overseas please stay safe. My kids pray for all of you every night

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.