Nursing student to EMT

gajewel

I need some advice from anyone who has been an EMT for a while.

My situation is that I am in nursing school~~a very crappy nursing school for lack of better words. The faculty is at odds with each other, the school is on probation, and the teachers offer no encouragement. Half of my class is failing and we have to make near to impossible grades to pass for the semester (Yes, they really will fail a great number of people at once, seen it happen before). This is my senior year of a bachelors program. :( I already know I want to be in the field of emergency medicine. It is clear that I need a backup plan at this point. I started looking at EMTs. To my suprise... it sounds more up my alley then nursing! I didn't consider being an EMT before nursing school. Now I am considering the possibility of withdrawing from nursing school and becoming an EMT. The EMT program starts Oct. 2 so I kind of have to make the decision soon. I had planned to graduate and move by summer 2007- this is very important to me. The EMT program fits into that plan. I am married so whatever I do affects two people. I also am in music ministry and that brings in income so I am not so worried about the pay drop between a RN and an EMT.

What would you guys recommend? I need objective opinions here because my head is spinning. Very hard decision.

Julie

You could become an EMT, but then you do have a family. Wages vary based on geographic location, most range from $8 an hour in rural communities to as high as $15 in some metropolitan centers. It is also based on the type of service you are working for, private company, fire department, etc. Unlike nurses, of which there is a nationwide shortage, there is a glut of EMTs. I am not familiar with your family's position by any means, but you may need to consider the income you would be looking at as an EMT and the job market as a whole.

If I were you, already enrolled in a nursing program, I would transfer to another nursing program. Once I had my RN, I would then sit for the Paramedic exam. Then you could move between the in-hospital and the pre-hospital settings with ease. If you earned your Certified Emergency Nurse (CEN) or Certified Flight Nurse (CFN), you would really have some great options anywhere in the country and could almost name your own price.

I would stick with RN. Not to say EMT is below you or anyone, EMTs are great, but don't give up on nursing school!

You could also see if Excelsior College would accept some of your credit so far, they are the online nationally recognized RN program I am aware of. You could complete your EMT-I, finish your RN through Excelsior, test Paramedic, get your CEN and CFN then. How does that sound?

Excelsior College

https://www.excelsior.edu/

It is possible to sit for the NREMT-Paramedic exam as an RN after a two-week course. Many trauma hospitals sponsor these internally for their own ER and Flight Nurses.

http://ems.creighton.edu/rnp.htm

CEN

http://www.ena.org/bcen/cen/CENdefault.asp

CFRN

http://www.ena.org/bcen/cfrn/

CCEMT-P

http://ehs.umbc.edu/CE/CCEMT-P/

Gajewel, welcome to the city.

http://www.fieldmedics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=610

So, I do not have to repeat myself. (Yes I know, very lazy.)

Thbarnes, wow paramedic in 2 weeks as long as I have my NREMT-B. I wonder if they will cut off a week because I have my NREMT-I. :roll: If that is not a slap in the face to paramedics...???

Take care,

chbare.

Not all states, will honor that Paramedic certification as well. I know mine will not, you must have attended the full NHTSA Paramedic program, along with applied number of clinical hours. Be very leery of short cuts... not all states will honor nursing, paramedic etc..

I agree, CEN, CCRN, will open doors, must have experience and clinical strengths in these areas, to take the test. I as of yet have ever been paid more than a $1.00/hr for the additional titles (usually more maxed out after two certification). It is more for professional development and to as discussed to open career paths.. and you can find my other responses as noted earlier.

R/r 911

Arizona will laugh in your face if you can't prove that you've finished a course that meets the DOT minimum.

This is a great move for paramedics, not so good for RN's who think they want to work outside.

Back on topic... do NOT drop out of nursing school. And do NOT try to take EMT school while in Nursing school. Nursing school is hard enough when you are able to give it 100 percent of your attention. If you have to divide your attention between the two, you are not doing either one of them justice and will end up either failing one or both, or end up being half assed at both.

IF you flunk out of nursing school (damn rare to happen in the senior year, in my experience), then you might consider going to EMT school, but EMT is not a profession. It's just a foot in the door to something bigger. It would take you two years to make a decent paramedic. In that time, you could have gone all the way back through nursing school, so EMS is not really a viable "back up plan," unless you seriously want to devote another two years to becoming certified to be a $10 dollar an hour ambulance driver. And if you do that, within 5 years at the most, you will just start thinking about going back to nursing school, but between family and finances, you will no longer be able to.

Finish what you started. Then move on if you like. EMS is not for quitters.

What he said.

Don't be stupid and quit. You are about to finish, I'm sure you've worked hard and you deserve to finish. You may make good money in music ministry but working the long and crazy EMT hours will you be able to keep that up? Probably not. Nursing is more flexible, more opportunities, and a better job market. You stated you wanted to move soon, if you move as a RN you will have many choices in jobs, if you do this as an EMT your job market is VERY limited and could effect where you really want to live. Be smart about this, this is your future.

Nursing school is nursing school. If you graduate, take the NCLEX and pass, you are home free. Emt can come later.

What do they call the person who graduates last in nursing school?

Nurse..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.