EMT physical limits ???

bbrooks6401

I'm not sure what kinda company you're starting out with so I'll give you my experience. I'm 5'3 and a medium build. I started out bein' an EMT with a bum shoulder. I had just gotten outta 6 months worth of physical therapy. I told my volly company and my full-time job straight-forward that I wasn't going to be able to lift well, but if they gave me a lil bit of time, I would compensate. My volly company required a new EMT to ride as a third for a month or two anyways, so they just put me on a night with 2 guys. My paid job requires someone to ride as a third for 2 days anyways, then they placed me with another female to do light jobs. My 1st two days with my paid company I asked them to show me all the tricks in the book on different ways to lift people. By the end of the 1st month, I was lifting people up & down stairs. I even lifted a 300 lb guy up stairs. Lifting is probably one of the most difficult things to learn in the job for a newbie. Working out and strengthening your leg muscles will help A LOT though. I was lucky that I was a swimmer, which I totally recommend to help you build up all your body muscles btw. Good luck!!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.