EMT physical limits ???

bbrooks6401

I am currently getting my EMT-B license. I will be out of class sometime the end of Nov. I am starting clinicals next week and then after 10 clinic shifts we do our ambulance runs.

But my question is about lifting. Our state only require that we can lift 50lbs to enter the class. I can do that, but I know several of the patients will be over that 50lbs.

I am 5'1 and 120lbs. I am very small framed and I am concerned over the lifting. My instructor just says that I will get used to it, but the one time we practiced loading patients (students) on the stretcher it was rather difficult for me, partly because I had no idea how to do it and partly due to my size. I would love to hear others suggestions for me.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good question bbrooks. Lifting can be a problem for anyone, but especially for smaller framed people. But it can be done successfully. Hopefully, your instructers included good body mechanics in the curriculum. Very important - we blow out our backs regularly when we lift wrong. Squat and use your legs for the majority of the weight being lifted. This can take some practice to get used to.

We regularly encounter HEAVY patients in awkward positions. Fortunately, there are usually more than enough hands available to help. You don't have to do it all yourself. Heavier patients require a 4-point lift- 4 people, one on each corner. Backboards and blankets/sheets are your friends for this. 4 points can be used on the stretcher too. Sheet transfers are good for heavy and/or obtunded patients. SLIDE instead of lift when you can.

Like anything else, doing it over time will lead to proficiency, and even creativity. Sometimes you need to adapt and overcome. Above all else - know your limits, ask for help, DO NOT HURT YOURSELF. You will get used to lifting and lots of other stuff as you do clinicals and then hopefully work in the field.

Good luck to you as you enter EMS!!

I am currently getting my EMT-B license. I will be out of class sometime the end of Nov. I am starting clinicals next week and then after 10 clinic shifts we do our ambulance runs.

But my question is about lifting. Our state only require that we can lift 50lbs to enter the class. I can do that, but I know several of the patients will be over that 50lbs.

I am 5'1 and 120lbs. I am very small framed and I am concerned over the lifting. My instructor just says that I will get used to it, but the one time we practiced loading patients (students) on the stretcher it was rather difficult for me, partly because I had no idea how to do it and partly due to my size. I would love to hear others suggestions for me.

Your instructor's flip attitude concerns me greatly. You don't 'get used to it'. You have to learn proper lifting techniques. It's amazing how much you can lift even with your small frame when done properly. Body mechanics: using your body to obtain a mechanical advantage.

Our class is learning from Brady's Prehospital Emergency Care book and there is a chapter on body mechanics. If your book has one maybe you can practice with a couple of friends?? I know that since we spent those 3 hours in class, I have started to do some squats to strengthen my thighs and some sit-ups to reinforce stomach muscles.

Also, when out on a call, don't be afraid to call for extra manpower when you need to.

Pat

I'm shocked at your instructor for two reasons

1. His flippant attitude that you will get used to it.

2. the fact that you lifted without knowing what you were doing. The instructor should have shown you how.

Shame on your instructor.

Thank you all for your replies. It helped knowing that it may be possible for a small woman to do this job effectively without injuries if proper techniques are used. We had read the chapter on proper body mechanics but that's just it...we just read everything and haven't practiced anything hands-on. He said that we would be getting to that. I really don't think he was being rude about learning as I went but more like saying that my body would get used to using different muscles and lifting techniques over time.

I will definitely start doing squats and crunches for now...does anyone recommend any other exercises for me to try?

1. Learn and love the power grip and power lift.

2. Never try to move a heavy pt by youself....if you think they are oo heavy, they probably are

3. Ask for help all the time...policemen, ffsm other emts, hell, I have even enlisted bystanders to help life a patient that had to be taken out on the door we took off of her house.

The best thing is to get innovative and imaginative. Remember that 15-20 max reach, lift with the legs and work out to gain upper body strength. I have a friend who i very small woman who is also a smoker jumper and the pack she jumps and hikes with literally weighs more than she does, so she spends alot of time with evertyhing from free weights to machines to things like yoga and martial arts.

You will do just fine. Dont get scared off and dont hurt yourself because you are afraid that asking for help would make you seem not up to the job. I think with so many women in the field these days, and alot of them being smaller framed like you, there are going to be more and more in the way of power assisted devices for loading patients.

Good Luck from one Newbie to another...and stay safe...remember, you dont want to become your own patient.

THe LIfe you save may your own.

Steven "the Monk" KinCannon, NREMT-B/D

please feel to write to me at emt.kincannon@yahoo if you would like to talk about this further. I am always glad to help with what i have learned so far and I have chronic lower extremity neuropathy after an auto accident so if I can do it, you can too. Keep you chin up and dont get discouraged.

PS- I hurt my back during an extrication because i had the pt on a board and in a KED and had to drag him out and onto to the board virtully on my own...he weighed in exccess of 400 pounds.

You can always dispatch the FD if you need assistance with lifting... and hopefully you'll have a partner :lol:

Geez, wish this topic would have come out about a month ago!

You'd think I'd have learned by now, being in EMS for almost 16 years, but I just came back to work after being off for a month because of a back injury. Yup, you guessed it, just my partner and I tried to lift a 400 lb. guy back into bed. He fell out of bed, had no injuries, but couldn't (or wouldn't) get back into bed on his own.

So, along we go, and tried getting him back into bed, just the 2 of us. Well, my back was screaming by the end of this call!!

If you feel the patient is just too heavy for just you and your partner to lift, call for a lift assist! Anybody, fire dept., police dept., anybody! But don't subject yourself to injury! Workers Compensation just doesn't pay enough! LOL!

I know I will call for a lift assist from now on, because I think if I hurt my back anymore, it'll be the end of my career in EMS, because I won't be able to lift anymore.

bbrooks -

I have a slightly smaller build than yours and even though I'm strong for my size, the lifting can be pretty challenging. While it's generally doable, it's usually been my experience that there are enough hands to help.

Mostly I just try to be really consistent with upper body work at the gym. I had a herniated disc coming into this, so I do pilates (yuck) once a week. A little core work makes a huge difference in helping to support the lower back.

Erica

While these are all great suggestions you have to remember that lifting is a HUGE part of the job. If you can't lift you can't be a paramedic. It is that simple. You and your partner are generally responsible for 250-300lbs or under, maybe even 350 depending on the complexity and number of the lift(s). Any heftier than that and calling for assist is acceptable. And always call for the FD to give you a hand. We all know that the police and other medics are busy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.