Lunch Hour

I agree that keeping something to eat and the ability to be properly hydrated in the rig is important. But please remember to have food that has no smell...usually something cold, or a power bar, etc. There is nothing worse than already not feeling well and having the person that is transporting you have a whopper or big mac or whatever and you have to smell that. Really the same reason that we should all not use colognes, perfumes, scented soaps, shave creams, shampoos, etc. Just a thought from an ambulance jockey.

Hopefully, your service and administration/supervisors will value you enough to take a lunch break.. just remember, it is against OSHA regulation to keep food, etc.. near the patient compartment. (another reason administration, should allow you to have a break).

Technically, administration has to allow you to have some form of relief from work in a certain period of time... again, the specifics are in the Department of Labor standards..

R/r 911

You can't find EMS legislation in regards to it being an "essential" service, but you want to complain about the non-essential workers ability to have an uninterrupted meal?

How is this a priority exactly? Bigger things to worry about out there folks.

Last time I checked I was a biological machine that runs on a fuel called food, without which machine no runny good = malfunctions and the like.

Oops. As usual I forgot to address the topic on the table. In Ontario it is legislated that every employee no matter what the job, is entitled to a 15 minute break for every five hours of work. This can be found near the laws against slavery and child labour (I just made that up but I am sure it's not far off) The issue of enforcement of this law is another issue entirely and is currently in front of the courts in a number of places. Ottawa paramedics recently won their case against the service. No one expects police or fire to function without food or sleep, so WTF?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.