Lunch Hour

This may seem like a silly question, but, it was asked by one of our employees and quite frankly it stumped us, simply because we figure this is all part of the EMS world, and some days you can and some days you can't depending on the workload and the schedule you are working... anyways this is my question.... hopefully y'all can help me out with this and maybe even provide web pages that I can look into.....

In the world of EMS, and in the state of Texas, is a lunch hour mandated? or rather as we all know sometimes you get to eat, and sometimes you don't but is it written in EMS laws and bi laws or whatever you want to call it, is it a "requirement"?

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying "NO, DON'T LET THEM EAT!!! but what I am saying is that depending on the schedule and the workload and so forth, am I wrong to think and perhaps there are gonna be those days, when you are just not gonna be able to grab a bite to eat. Granted, if it is slow or it slows down, and you can, go for it.... but I think that for one to expect it on a daily basis, especially when it is a non-stop back to back day, then I think one can just rule having a regular lunch hour out the door. Anyways, any insight and feedback is appreciated. Thank You for taking the time.

It is not usually mandated by the state, rather by Federal regulations under Federal Wage and Labor Board. There are many different interpretations of how and when and if all dependent on your length of schedule, type of EMS, etc.. So you need to check with them.

Many have an uninterrupted period and some don't have specifics, rather non-busy EMS can describe you have a period that allows one to eat at a non specific time.

R/r 911

Just have to check with the department of labor.

As a general rule, depending on what type of system you work, if you want to make sure you will get something to eat, bring your own lunch with you on the truck and eat whenever you can. Granted it might take you a few hours to get that sandwich and chips, but it's better than nothing. Here, if the system is slow enough, we are allowed a 20-minute "rest break" during our shift where our dispatch tries to give us coverage so we won't have to run a call during that time, but most of the time you get about 10 minutes in and two or three calls come in and you either get one or lose your coverage then have to most posts (as we use SSM).

There's always Quik Trip food on damn near every post KE5EHI, mmmm good cooking. :roll:

I agree you would have to check company and state policies regarding meals for EMS workers. EMS sometimes falls in a special category in some states.

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

There's always Quik Trip food on damn near every post KE5EHI, mmmm good cooking. :roll:

Very true, and their new wraps and sandwiches are actully decent, but the problem lies when you don't get to a post until 4am and you started your shift at 7pm. The other night my old partner ran the whole 12 hour shift and never got to a post. Our call volume lately has been 150%-180% of normal.

You can't find EMS legislation in regards to it being an "essential" service, but you want to complain about the non-essential workers ability to have an uninterrupted meal?

How is this a priority exactly? Bigger things to worry about out there folks.

I think this is an entirely stupid argument. People in health professions should be the first to realize that food, basic energy, is required to continue metabolic function. I'm not diabetic and I can tell you that if I don't eat, I'll feel the effects by at least 2-3 PM.

Any service that does not allow their employees to eat is just asking for someone to screw up. Its a perfect lawsuit against your organization. All the employee has to do is say, "Well I hadn't eaten in 14 hours."

I think this is an entirely stupid argument. People in health professions should be the first to realize that food, basic energy, is required to continue metabolic function. I'm not diabetic and I can tell you that if I don't eat, I'll feel the effects by at least 2-3 PM.

Any service that does not allow their employees to eat is just asking for someone to screw up. Its a perfect lawsuit against your organization. All the employee has to do is say, "Well I hadn't eaten in 14 hours."

True, but in most cases you can make enough time to eat at some point, like during your patient drop at the hospital. Also, some states don't have laws that require employees to get a break during their work period.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.