ADHD and me

emtkelley

I posted a thread on here months ago about ADHD. I was overwhelmed by the responses both in the forum and in PM. So much support and lots of questions about ADHD.

I would like to say something here. I started Paramedic class last week after being put on Strattera last winter. Literally, this drug has given me a new lease on life. Now, granted, I have just started back to school but I can feel the difference as I had flunked out of class last year. I concentrate, I don't daydream and I can sit still through lecture. I look forward to class and what the evening will bring me. I also have a great instructor who is making this fun and innovative for us. I still find myself unable to tell him about my difficulties and I don't feel as though I need to. I want to get through this class the same way everyone else is and I honestly feel as though I can do this. If it becomes a problem, I will speak up but for now I want to see what I can accomplish on my own.

I need to break through something I have been in a habit with and that is piping up during class instead of withholding the answers because I feel as though I will answer incorrectly. I am working through that and I will become better at it. My brain is firing off correctly and I am thinking the correct answer before the answer is revealed. I have never felt these feelings before and I have to tell you, it is very liberating to me. I feel as though I have no boundaries and the sky is the limit to what I can achieve. Maybe I am feeling euphoria or something...I don't know. I feel like an equal in class and that I have the same opportunities as everyone else. I realize I am still very much into the beginning of class and there will be very difficult things we will be studying as time goes by but I'm not afraid of anything. I look forward to the challenge instead of ducking my head.

If anyone has ever had these feelings or dealt with someone with ADHD, they know what I am saying. I am just happy I have found out what was going on and was able to work with my family physician to get this figured out. I don't look at this as a disability or anything......it's not for me. It's just a hurdle that I was given the tools to get past.

And finally, if you or anyone close to you has felt like I have and has detected some type of issue with learning, please go to your Dr. and see what can be done. Don't let anything get in the way of your dreams. Get tested, be proactive and determine what your options are. Don't let it keep you from realizing your potential. I'm not letting anything stand between me and what I have wanted so desperately.

Take care,

Congratulations to you! =D> My 16 yr old is ADHD and Bi-Polar. She is medicated and sees a Psychiatrist regularly to check how they are working. Even so, everyday is still a challenge for her and us. They say that those with ADHD are very bright so there is no doubt you can do whatever you set your mind to. Also noticed you're from Illinois. We used to live in Orland Park for a year. Loved it out there. Just close enough but just far enough from Chicago. Take care and good luck.

Glad to hear the update, Kelley! After the last time we talked, I felt confident that you were going to do well.

Best of luck, and let us know how it's going!