Need Some Feedback - Pulling Out My Hair

Funny...we used to say that about drummers!

Ooooh! You're good! :shock:

That's exactly where I stole that joke! I'm a drummer! :D

Anyhow, I like this guy. He's open to discussion, not hypersensitive, and taking a serious interest in exploring his options instead of making serious career decisions that will affect his loved ones' lives based on an impulsive whim.

Mike speaks teh wisdom, my friend. Go his route and you can feed a family of four AND be in EMS AND be among the best in the field instead of just another ambulance driver.

Best of luck!

One issue you may run into is that most RN programs are full time/day classes. Whereas you can still find paramedic programs that run at night. Granted I don't know what shift you work, but it may be an issue. Also I think its pretty unusual that you don't have any volunteer systems in your area. Volunteering sounds right up your alley...

Here's my dilemma: I want to do EMS... really bad. I'm in the middle of EMT-B training, I don't intend to stop. The thing is this... I am making $11+/hour at my current position (I am a federal police dispatcher) and if I were to become an EMT-B here (the local company is AMR) I would be taking a 50% cut in pay. I can't take that kind of a cut. I'm the only person in my family that makes CONSISTENT money and with federal benefits... so I'm stuck. I REALLY want to be in EMS... but Paramedics in my area don't make as much as I do as a dispatcher. I'm really just looking for guidance and advice. Thanx in advance!!

That's unbelievable. So to speak. You obviously need a sugar daddy.

Leave it to DustDevil to ruin an otherwise encouraging post with the phrase "just another ambulance driver." The service that I am currently PRNing for had a medic that said that one two many times, and the last time happened to be in front of the Ops Manager...who immediately called him into his office and suspended him for two weeks without pay. His exact quote was "I would rather work with a good Basic than a half-ass paramedic any day." And in his opinion which I tend to share, there are more than just a few half-ass medics out there. No, I am not picking on anyone here because I dont know your skill level or experience. But you get the point... But the fact remains, as the Ops Manager also said "You can teach a monkey to hit a vein with a needle."

Until attitudes like this fade into the sunset, there will always be partners who are only partners because they happen to work on the same rig rather than working hand in hand to save lives.

The service that I am currently PRNing for had a medic that said that one two many times, and the last time happened to be in front of the Ops Manager...who immediately called him into his office and suspended him for two weeks without pay. His exact quote was "I would rather work with a good Basic than a half-ass paramedic any day."

Personally, I'd rather work with a calm and intelligent bystander with absolutely no medical training at all than either one of those losers.

Your Ops manager was blowing smoke up your arses in order to foster a good working relationship between medics and EMT's. Sometimes lies are useful.

Personally, I'd rather work with a calm and intelligent bystander with absolutely no medical training at all than either one of those losers.

Your Ops manager was blowing smoke up your arses in order to foster a good working relationship between medics and EMT's. Sometimes lies are useful.

Stop.

There opinion is what they choose it to be. Your ignorance towards current providers has been accepted, here, but im drawing the line at twisting that quote to serve your own desire to show BLS providers in a poor light.

You want to do that, facts, not twisted silliness.