Interested in career change/possible part-time - questions!

Jmacot

I am hoping I can get some feedback as to where I should go for paramedic training. I am a 36 yo occupational therapist who loves my job but has always wanted to be a paramedic. I have worked in the medical field for 13 years and am not interested in leaving my job, but since I work part-time now I would love to go through training... but want to know what the chances are of finding a part-time job afterwards. I would even be willing to just volunteer at this point if that is a possibility. Can anyone give me suggestions on where to go for training? I live around Baton Rouge - do I go to LSU, EBR-EMS, or Acadian? Are there other options? Any help is appreciated!

Hmmm... I didn't know that EBR ran their own school.

Obviously, you already have a degree, and you probably have the necessary prerequisites like A&P and Microbiology. If so, then school choice isn't as critical. For those who do not already possess a broad educational foundation including the above courses, I would advise against any school that does not include them and result in at least an associates degree. But if you have those courses, then you have a wider range of courses.

Not knowing anything about the quality of the schools themselves, there are a few things to consider when choosing. Which school last longest (by HOURS, not by calendar length)? Simple math says that the more contact hours you have, the more eduation you receive, generally speaking. And more is always better. What clinical facilities do the schools utilise? A school that sends you to high-volume hospitals and EMS services for your experience will usually have an edge over those who utilise small community hospitals and EMS services. Check on the qualifications of the instruction staff. Good medics don't necessarily make good instructors. How long they have been medics is something to consider, but not an absolute sign that they know how to teach. A better indicator is their educational credentials. Those who have spent longer in the educational process themselves are usually better prepared to relate that process to students. If none of those instructors have any academic degrees beyond a paramedic certificate, be wary. Is the school nationally accredited?

http://www.caahep.org/programs.aspx

http://www.coaemsp.org/accreditatedprograms.htm

• If a school isn't on at least one of those two lists, I would probably skip it unless they can come up with a really, really, really compelling reason why.

As for working part-time, I think the opportunities are very good in your area. LA has a huge shortage, statewide. And employers like part-timers because they don't have to pay your benefits. You shouldn't have a problem with that.

If you are a good OT, then I am confident that you will make a good medic. Best of luck to you!

http://www.caahep.org/programs.aspx

http://www.coaemsp.org/accreditatedprograms.htm

• If a school isn't on at least one of those two lists, I would probably skip it unless they can come up with a really, really, really compelling reason why.

I feel better my school was on both lists. 8)

+5, Good resource Dust for those thinking about Para school. :thumbleft:

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

Thanks for replying! I checked out the sites and it seems that only 3-4 schools in all of LA are accredited!? That seems awfully low! I am still researching to see if the school in BR that is accredited is even still offering the program. I spent today visiting Fire Stations in the vicinity to visit with their medics and got some good information. Most recommended Acadian for training and part-time work, saying EMS really doesn't hire part-time medics.

My biggest question now is how realistic is it to return to school, time-wise? I want to keep my part-time job as an OT but am not sure how I can do that, go to school, and still be a parent. Maybe I am romanticising the job too much, but I just have this strong desire to get the training. Any feedback??

Okay...I'm not trying to highjack the thread here but...

I've been a long time reader of these forums and plan on attending Medic school after I graduate HS.

With that being said, apparently there is only ONE accredited school in Georgia between both of those lists. I understand that accreditation is voluntary via those two organizations but still!

Sort of...scarry.

On the upside, I've pretty much learned that Dust is a go-to resource for just about anything EMS related on these forums. That is, as long as you can stand a little constructive criticism.

Thanks for replying! I checked out the sites and it seems that only 3-4 schools in all of LA are accredited!? That seems awfully low!

There are many states with NO accredited schools, including Mass. Of course, as "Priority" astutely observes, accreditation is indeed voluntary, and it is not required in order to certify students. And there are some very good schools that aren't accredited for one reason or another. But at least when they are accredited, a lot of your work is done for you, as far as checking out their quality. The ones I would worry about are those that can't come up with good reasons why they are not accredited. For instance, to be accredited, a school must be associated with a college or university. There are hospital-based programs that are excellent, but cannot become accredited because of that. It is the ones that are college based, yet not accredited that I would worry about. Especially if you ask them why they aren't and all they do is bad-mouth the accreditation process and make excuses for why they don't need it.

Just curious, why would you ask firemen about paramedic school? That's a bit like asking cosmetologists about rocket science.

Anyhow, yes, you are most likely romanticising the job too much. It's not anything like on television. If you think the real world is even remotely like Turd Watch, then you're going to be seriously disappointed. Three quarters of the job is nothing more than being a taxi driver. Three quarters of the people who really are sick or injured, you can't even help because they require real medical care, not first aid. There simply isn't a whole lot of satisfaction in this job. It is very rare. Once you spend a little time figuring all that out, you'll be really happy that you already have a real profession to fall back upon. And that, my friends, is the reason I tell everybody to go to nursing school BEFORE EMS. :wink:

Thanks for explaining the accreditation process for me - I didn't realize being associated with a university was a requirment. That would explain why none of the local programs were accredited.

Just curious, why would you ask firemen about paramedic school? That's a bit like asking cosmetologists about rocket science.

Loved the analogy, but you misunderstand. I actually spoke with an EMT and a paramedic that were working at a fire department. Both were able to give me some insight on the work environment and training courses that were offered locally. Both were married to paramedics as well, so I got an idea of the time (or lack of) that was taken away from relationships...

I have to say, I am curious...everyone I have spoken to and much of the feedback I have read on this site seems like no one likes this job. If it is so bad and everyone hates it, why don't you quit? I see that you are an RN - what makes you want to keep working as a medic? Something about this job has to keep you coming back, doesn't it??

I do recognize that there are a lot of negatives and the glory and adrenaline portrayed on TV is not how it really is. What were your reasons for wanting to do this job? Maybe that will help me to see if my thinking is in line with others who are in this field.

I have to say, I am curious...everyone I have spoken to and much of the feedback I have read on this site seems like no one likes this job. If it is so bad and everyone hates it, why don't you quit? I see that you are an RN - what makes you want to keep working as a medic? Something about this job has to keep you coming back, doesn't it??.

I do recognize that there are a lot of negatives and the glory and adrenaline portrayed on TV is not how it really is. What were your reasons for wanting to do this job? Maybe that will help me to see if my thinking is in line with others who are in this field.

Well... I got into it as a kid because it was exciting, same as most people. But I stayed because I was good at it, which is the reason I come back. Once you realise what you are truly good at in life, you should stick with it. And conversely, of course, if you recognise you suck at something, you should quit. I can't speak for everybody, but I think that most people who stay in EMS long term also do so because they believe they are good at it. Of course, most people stay in EMS for less than 5 years too, even if they are good at it because, unfortunately, the negatives far outweigh the positives.

Thanks for explaining the accreditation process for me - I didn't realize being associated with a university was a requirment. That would explain why none of the local programs were accredited.

Loved the analogy, but you misunderstand. I actually spoke with an EMT and a paramedic that were working at a fire department. Both were able to give me some insight on the work environment and training courses that were offered locally. Both were married to paramedics as well, so I got an idea of the time (or lack of) that was taken away from relationships...

I have to say, I am curious...everyone I have spoken to and much of the feedback I have read on this site seems like no one likes this job. If it is so bad and everyone hates it, why don't you quit? I see that you are an RN - what makes you want to keep working as a medic? Something about this job has to keep you coming back, doesn't it??

I got into this because it fit a lot of my wants. It's fun (variable based on your attitude, your company, your partner, and your attitude. Yes, I did put attitude twice), it pays decently in my area (started at 8.50, up to 9.50 right now), works around my school schedule (not optional, my company has no choice, period), and it gives me clinical experience (I also have hospital volunteer experience). At least one extra benefit is that my exposure to the nursing home situation has given me my topic for one essay for my applications (In your opinion, what contemporary medical issue needs to be addressed in the U.S. healthcare system and why?, I heart Stony Brook for this question). I don't see my eventual "departure" from EMS as leaving for good. It'll be more like a 4 year hiatus.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.