I failed :(

Jordan

Keep your chin up and wait for your results via mail from the NREMT, which breaks down your score by subject category. You may only be off by a point or two! I HIGHLY recommend the AAOS study guide. If you have it, go through it again and again. If you don't have it, click on the link below to get it.

AAOS EMT-B Study Guide

You failed a test. Yeah, it's an ego check, but brush it off and take it again.

Best of luck,

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sending NREMT a letter tommorow for guidance.

Warning... if you go off half-cocked, writing letters without first looking for the answers on the NREMT website, and consulting with your course coordinator/instructor, you're going to look like a huge, annoying tool to those who have to read it and tell you to go read the website. Sit down. Take a deep breath. Do more studying on this issue than you did for your class. And get everything straight before you go back to NR.

My instructor became a full time battalion chief so its going to be hard finding review time!

There's the problem right there. You're trying to learn medicine from a fireman. :lol:

Warning... if you go off half-cocked, writing letters without first looking for the answers on the NREMT website, and consulting with your course coordinator/instructor, you're going to look like a huge, annoying tool to those who have to read it and tell you to go read the website. Sit down. Take a deep breath. Do more studying on this issue than you did for your class. And get everything straight before you go back to NR.

My letter doesnt reflect any emotion. Its maybe 3 sentences at most asking what the exact results of the exam were and the instructions on how to retake it.

My letter doesnt reflect any emotion. Its maybe 3 sentences at most asking what the exact results of the exam were and the instructions on how to retake it.

Good for you! That's a good sign. But it's not the emotion I was referring to. It is the act of asking people to spoon feed you answers that are easily available on the website and from your course coordinator. It's like the people who come here asking questions that are already answered in twenty previous topics because they were too lazy to use the search button. It's annoying. Just trying to help you save some dignity with NREMT by allowing you to learn from others' mistakes.

I would be very shocked if you were the only one in the class who failed. That means you have classmates in the same boat. Get with them. Study with them. Get your answers from your coordinator with them. Don't be a lone wolf. Help each other out. Each of you bombed different things. Sharing your experiences with each other will be beneficial to you. And, as PRPG astutely stated, do NOT overthink the answers! Go with your gut instinct on the questions and move on. Don't go back.

It's really this simple...

• 1. Search the NREMT site for upcoming test dates and sites. If there are none that are even remotely convenient for you, call them and ask them for others (some aren't listed on the site).

2. Call the testing site and register for the test.

3. Study your arse off until the moment you leave the house for the test.

4. Retake the test.

5. Go be a fireman, since that's all you really want to be anyhow, and forget everything you just learned.

• Any questions? Look on NREMT.org.

Good luck!

You can take the written three times. If you fail the third time you need to take a 24 hr refresher course. If you fail your fourth, fifth, and sixth time THEN you need to retake the entire EMT-B course. That letter you wrote was a waste of time. Like many people said, they are automatically going to send you the results as to where your weaker areas are, and everything you need to know about retaking the test is at NREMT.com. If you google National Registry, under the first result there is a link for Locate and Exam. You will need to fill out a new application, which is available on the website, and also submit the registration fee, which I believe is $20.00. If you can't find a test on there I would contact either your instructor (I'm pretty sure Battalion Chiefs still have cell phones), or contact your State EMS office, they should have a list of scheduled test dates. If you do find the test date you will need to contact the Exam Coordinator to submit your registration materials. Give yourself at least a good 3-4 weeks AFTER you get your results to retake it. If you really feel the results are incorrect, you can request to have the test re-evaluated by hand, which will cost you another $20. Also EMT-55 recommended www.emtb.com and this is an excellent site to help you study. Just get your head straight, don't only study the areas you didn't do so well in, and don't think too hard into the questions, and you should breeze through it next time. And if not don't worry about it, you'll have plenty of chances and time in your life to pass it. Good Luck.

5. Go be a fireman

Well hello there, how'd you guess that ;)

In all seriousness I think its a good idea that all firefighters at least have EMT training so they can pitch in on MCI's

They can actually save lives, you know?

Thanks so much for the input guys

edit- Say, the test vendor's website won't allow me to re-schdule a test. Should I wait for NREMT to send me their letter about reregistering before I start making phone calls to see whats up?

• 1 month later...

Do not feel bad, I have to retake all my practicals, and I am taking the Basic exam. If you miss three stations, you have to take all five over again. I do not know if this will make you feel any better, I treated a cardiac emergency like a respiratory emergency. I felt like a total idiot. Also, during the AED I shocked more times then I should. I was so nervous that when she said patient has no pulse and no respirations I guess I just panicked and I press the shock button, and then I thought, "Oh my God." Then when did the Apneic patient station the head was so hard to tilt back so naturally this chest was not rising and falling. I know this sounds weird but I have more confidence now about testing than I did the first test. Right now I am just waiting for my confirmation letter so I can retest. I am not where you live but I live in Louisiana and the state never gets in a hurry to do anything. Good Luck!

You will get them next time I am sure .....

one thing to remember is dont panic and dont get nervous

we are here to help ya if you need it just ask one of us that is what we are here for

GOOD LUCK NEXT TIME

ITK

They should be mailing you a rejection letter identifying the areas you did well in and poorly in. Yes the test is confusing. And there often is more than one answer. Just brush up on a lot ofyour basics.