starting emt-b school august 28 2006

rathbone

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:shock: Rathbone, You know the study routine just completing your First Responder You should have no trouble in the EMT-B Class

I went from certified Wilderness First Aid to EMT-B

Keep up the good study habits and enjoy

be safe out there

Gerry

Drop out now and go sign up for regular classes and go into nursing. Why? Better pay, benefits, pay, respect, more knowledge, more marketable, more opportunities, etc etc etc..

If I could do it all over again I would have done nursing first and then go get my emt-p. Living paycheck to paycheck while working 80+ hours a week, 2-3 different jobs, eating crap food all the time, strain on your health (mental and physical). It's not worth the pay.

RN Medic;

I understand the whole pay thing but EMS isn't just about better pay and recognition. We don't get enough respect as it is. Whining about what we don't get and telling someone to drop out isn't the answer. A wise man once told me you come to EMS for 1 of two reasons : The pay or the toys! It's up to you to decide what's more important

Rathbone : Good Luck in your classes they're fun and go as far as you want! I'm in medic school now and there's nothing better!

Good luck! I just finished my EMT-B training (with an awesome instructor -- I passed my Registry on the first try) and got hired on with the local ambulance service.

Remember: study, study, study and always volunteer for the scenarios.

Have fun!

Good luck! I just finished my EMT-B training (with an awesome instructor -- I passed my Registry on the first try) and got hired on with the local ambulance service.

Remember: study, study, study and always volunteer for the scenarios.

Have fun!

I'm so happy to read this note! LOVE to hear positive people. I'm just beginning too and will follow your advice to the letter!

Pat

I understand the whole pay thing but EMS isn't just about better pay and recognition. We don't get enough respect as it is. Whining about what we don't get and telling someone to drop out isn't the answer.

I don't really see that as an advice to "drop out." It was more along the lines of advising him (and rightfully so) to go a different route to the same destination. It's damn good advice, and I would advise ALL newcomers to take it. It will benefit not only those who do it, but the profession as a whole.

I love EMS. Don't get me wrong. But I am tired of seeing how EMS professionals are treated and regarded as "white trash" or "red-necks with stupid lights all over their trucks"

and of course "uneducated idiots." The hospital based 911 service that I used to work for (and I still live here) the CEO of the hospital was caught referring to his EMS employees as "rednecks."

That my friends is NOT respect.

To be professionals we need to act like professionals AND be educated. Something needs to be done with EMS and my views are very liberal to you newcomers who are just now starting a basic class. I have 8 years total, 4 as a medic.

EMS will always be a dead-end job if we continue to allow it. Look at firefighting, THAT is a immature. Look at nursing, THAT is a career. Look at Police officers, That is a career. Now look at EMS. We are the bastard child of emergency service. We need strong leaders who have a strong educational background to lead us to this.

If every EMS service was part of the fire department, then this would be a mute issue. As a FF/Medic you get respect, pay, retirement, etc. But the sad truth is we are not always part of the Fire Department. Hospitals own us and treat the nurses with 150% more respect, better pay, less hours, better incentives, and better employee retention. Why? Nursing is a PROFESSIONAL organization and career. Private EMS services are sometimes worse and sometimes better, it just depends where you live.

I'm looking at the big picture. Some of you are too immature to see this. If you like living paycheck to paycheck, trying to feed your family when you NEVER see your family, watching your relationship with your loved-one go down the drain, then the current EMS is for you. I have no doubt that if you spend any amount of time working in EMS and dealing with these issues you will have the same views as I have.

If I really wanted to tick you people off I would express my views about volunteer EMS.. Why pay someone to do it when someone will do it for free?

If every EMS service was part of the fire department, then this would be a mute issue. As a FF/Medic you get respect, pay, retirement, etc. But the sad truth is we are not always part of the Fire Department.

Ooooooooooooooh! So close, but no cigar.

You were on such a roll before that fell out of your pants.