Professional Appearance and Conduct Guidelines

TerrfyinFlyinSrvc

• 1 year later...

Hello,

My name is Glen Dunzweiler. I just read a very sarcastic and funny post about how EMS employees are portrayed in entertainment. I am sorry that what can makes good drama is not always true. With that said, the reason I am posting is that I am writing a play. I am not an EMT or a medic (although I once was EMT certified and I just had first hand experience with EMS when they extracted me out from under a Dodge Durango that had pulled out in front of me while I was on my motorcycle). I have great respect for the profession. I am researching official conduct protocols on contact with a patient outside of a 'call'...ie - checking up on a patient in the hospital, befriending former patients, etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Glen Dunzweiler

Welcome Glen,

Although we do not have an " Official " protocol, I have witnessed fellow providers check up on patients. By this I mean stopping by their ED room just to see how they are feeling or progressing. Checking with MD's and the nursing staff on patients who have been admitted and are no longer in the ED. I myself have ventured to a floor or two to see how some of the patients that my partner and I have taken to the hospital.

I find that there are some patients that you tend to connect with better than others. Not to say they receive better treatment, just that you feel for them a little more. Especially the patients that were genuinely sick or injured.

In answer to your question, No, We don't have an official protocol. I think it really depends on the individual. I would like to think that it wouldn't be required. Rather, it only takes a minute to stop and say " Hey, how are you feeling? ". Maybe this is because I am still relatively new to EMS and am still curious. I'm not sure. I would hope not.

3. All patients for all runs will be located either (a) on the first floor with plenty of room to get the rack in or (B) near the elevator (which is plenty large enough to accomodate your cot, your partner and all your new gear) so as to aid with extrication.

actually the elevator needs also to be big enough to fit the camera crew in there too. Don't forget that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.