Volunteer for Safe Skies

like someone said allready, an emt or medic should definately take over in any kind of medical emergency up there, although there's really not much to do would you rather be in the hands of a flight attendant or an actual medic. also any treatment of aid that is given would be protected under good samaritan act, at least you are doing something instead of nothing.

Don't be so sure of being protected by the good samartian act. Like someone mentioned, depending on your state statutes you lose that once you identify yourself as being a trained rescuer. Also, I'm not willing to play games with my license with regard to practicing out of state or anything like that. It's their medical emergency and the airlines should have a plan in place for how to handle an emergency while in the air. Let them do their thing. There's nothing more that I'm going to do for the patient other than put myself at legal risk. It just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. If it were to go through, I probably wouldn't say anything about me being a medic. I would treat an emergency in the air the same as I do when I'm off duty on the ground...notify the proper people of the emergency and hang back.

Shane

NREMT-P

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reiterate... it doesn't take a licence to perform first aid, which is the only thing you can do up there anyhow, so the licence issue is a non-factor.

Take it from someone who has rendered aid on a flight. Most recently about a year ago on a lady who ended up coding in the ambulance when we got her off the plane.

You are covered by the good samaritan act and you can even point out that you are a paramedic.

some airlines have advances packs in their kits which include an iv and some code drugs such as epi, atropine the like.

They all have agreements with a medical facilty to provide on line medical control.

I started an iv on this lady and talked to the online physician based out of I believe pakistan(ha ha ha just joking).

We landed the plane and got her to the ambulance.

So, yes you can render aid without being subject to the rigamoroles of going past the good samaritan act.

What really surprises me is that if you are the only rescuer on the plane and someone is coding or in severe medical crisis that you would not help that person. It's one thing that when you are on the ground driving that you can just drive around the wreck but you are in a plane at 35K feet and they ask for a medical personnel and you are there, yet you refuse to help the person. I just don't get it.

In regards to posts here....first since the Good Samaritan Act is a nationally accepted statute you are covered on domestic flights for rendering aid (as long as certain criteria are met), but you can be sued for negligence. Second in regards to Dustdevil stating that you can only practice first aid, you are mistaken..a great majority of airlines now carry AEDs as well as a stocked ALS kit, this does include IV starting supplies, IV EPI/Atropine and Dextrose. If you volunteer your services while on board and provide prudent medical care, you will not be in danger of being sued or losing your ability to provide ALS as a paid provider. You should contact your state OEMS if are that concerned about assisting someone under the Good Samaritan Act.

here is a link discussing AED/Medical supplies carried onboard airlines:

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/1998/198_air.html

Sweet! I knew there had been some pending legislation about ALS supplies on commercial flights, but I was thinking last I heard it was stalled in committee or something. I knew about the AEDs, but that's just first aid now, albeit "advanced" first aid.

Anyhow, despite all the whining about liability and jurisdiction, etc... I find it extremely hard to believe that there would be many medics in the country who would silently sit by on a flight and not respond to the call for help. Even the most hardcore burnouts.

I was told by a captain on a plane that I sat next to, he was on his way to his next flight in Detroit, and he told me about helping in the cabin.

As long as you accept nothing of monetary value like free flights or extra frequent flier points then you are not considered employed by the airline. If you do accept anything then you basically become an employee of the airline and the good samaritan protection is GONE

I was told by a captain on a plane that I sat next to, he was on his way to his next flight in Detroit, and he told me about helping in the cabin.

As long as you accept nothing of monetary value like free flights or extra frequent flier points then you are not considered employed by the airline. If you do accept anything then you basically become an employee of the airline and the good samaritan protection is GONE

Does a little bag of crappy peanuts and 2.5 ounces of Diet Pepsi count? B)

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

nah, but if you get a second bag of peanuts and the entire can then it does.

Its my understanding that airlines no longer give out renumeration for helping on flights. That went away with 09/11 I think.

Asys, remember that 1500 dollar laptop I was referring to? That was the sedation that Richard Reid needed, give me the sedation drugs, if it was my laptop I'd need the sedation in order to tell my boss what happened to his precious laptop.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.