Volunteer for Safe Skies

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see one problem:

Our sue-happy 21st century culture.

See. here in beautiiful New York State, I am covered by Good Samaritan laws... until I identify myself as a professional rescuer.

Than that nice little security blanket goes out the window.

I know this list wasn't designed with medical emergencies in mind, but that's what it potentially could be used for.

First off, it doesn't matter if your an EMT, a Paramedic, a nurse, or a Firefighter; you can't do anything more then the general public legally. Also, I do not see how an EMT, Firefighter, or Paramedic is trained to defend an airplane. Quick on your feet means getting out of a fire or getting to the ambulance...it doesn't mean subduing a suspect. Why don't we leave the Rambo tactics to the tow-truck driving industry?

Second, would I get a discount for this deal...because otherwise I'm going to keep my mouth shut and my butt in my seat. :lol:

This is a good idea but I think that the emergency personnel are gonna have to get in line behind me and my other fellow passengers. You see I fly every week, monday morning and then coming home thursday night. I talk to my fellow passengers and not one of them has expressed any doubts about taking a terrorist out even if it meant killing themselves.

I think the sky's are safer than they were before 9/11 as I have flown about 500K miles since 09/11 and I've seen people taken off planes for making stupid statements, saying they have a bomb and what not. There's not many people who would not hesitate to gang up on a terrorist and take them out, they all remember what the consequences were when they were not taken out.

If I see some dipshit mixing some type of liquid together then that 1400 dollar laptop I got from work will be a 1400 battering ram or club and I'll take the guy out, and then take lumps for it later.

someone tries to storm the cockpit then I'm there leading the charge and disarming or taking him out, Air marshall or not.

Amen! =D>

2nd, it would be a jurisdictional nightmare. For example, an EMT is certified in Ohio and is on a plane over Texas when a medical emergency occurs. Can he legally provide assistance as an EMT? Most states will not cover it.

Cover what? First aid? They're just EMTs, not brain surgeons. There is nothing they can do that any other passenger couldn't do. There is nothing they can do that needs to be "covered" by a certification or licence. Legal issues like that are irrelevant unless you're talking about professional practise. EMTs are not professionals, and first aid is not a practice.

But yeah... this whole thing sounds absolutely pointless to me, and I could have told you without even reading the article that it was pushed through by a Democrat and some firemonkeys. I fail to see what it achieves except putting our names on a list that could end up in the wrong hands. Thumbs down.

:lol: I was just reading this to my wife and said...."This seems like a good idea"

And she said "But then you have all those people on a list the bad guys can use"

I really don't want to think that my wife and Dust have ANYTHING in common....sheesh

We can pretty much end this discussion here....my wife is always right...

Dwayne

So if this program went into effect and this list got stolen, the terrorists would then do what exactly? Compare the passenger list, which they apparently also obtained for that specific flight, and then cross check it to eliminate the possibility of EMT's performing their duties while the plane is hijacked into their target?

"Abdullah, not only will the infidels feel the wrath of our fire, we will eliminate the EMT's first so that no one will be assisted with their albuterol pump during our operation!!! MOOHOOWAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!"

Maybe, you say, they will use the list to make fake ID's and infiltrate a secure facility. But, think about it, let's say they have EMT Skippy DeWillard's name, address, and certification number, and then uses it to make a fake ID, rather than just spending the $500 it takes to get his own certification. What is he going to do, go up to a security guard, identify himself as EMT DeWillard, and demand to be let into the secure facility?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.